edited June 2022 in ORK Support
Hey @gamingislove -

So I’ve been struggling with getting the inventory from the 3D RPG Playground demo project to display as just say icons - very similar to what is posted in the documentation here:

https://imgur.com/a/cTTqTOz

I have a UI Box with the grid layout group component, and it does kind of put them in a grid, but with a single column, that scrolls down. What am I missing to recreate your example in that image I’ve attached? Thanks for everything!
Post edited by theProject on
  • Actually just found this via google, weird it doesn’t show up here right away. However this was done in an earlier ORK before my time - do we still need to script it to get items in a grid?

http://forum.orkframework.com/discussion/5870/tutorial-grid-based-inventory-system-drag-and-drop-equipment-slots
  • The image from the documentation shows using Inventory Containers, which are an actual slot-based inventory system. There's no separate tutorial for them yet, but one will be available soon (probably with the next ORK update).

In short, you can set up inventory containers in Inventory > Inventory Containers, define their number of slots and what can be put into them. ORK's inventory system handles the rest automatically. Also, in the General Settings for inventory containers, you need so enable it being used (at least for the player).
    Afterwards, you can show inventory container content similar to the regular inventory using the Inventory Container menu part. The rest is up to your UI setup, e.g. using grid layout for the input buttons, using shortcut UI for better control of the displayed content, etc.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Perfect, thanks @gamingislove! I know your working on Shortcut tutorials per some other posts I read in the forum. ORK is absolutely massive, crazy powerful. Since I’m on vacation this week, I’ll be knocking out my UI. I’ll give an update here around how I get it done for anyone else whose search brings them here. Thanks for the tip!
  • edited June 2022
    @gamingislove - some success based on your advice. I feel very good about laying it out, where I get tripped up is styling of the button. Lets say I want the item icon (like a potion) in the center, info (qty) at the bottom, and name of the item at the top. How can I gain control of these to set the buttons up how I would like them, we are getting very close - I'll feel great when I get control.

I get lost with the Shortcut UI as documentation makes it sound like its reserved for HUDS only? Id love to be able to style this with tooltips, then i could use just an icon and keep all info in the tooltip... As always - thank you friend!
    Post edited by theProject on
  • You can mix menus and UI - e.g. in the inventory container menu, the Assigned Slot Content Layout can use Shortcut UI of the displayed item/equip/etc. by setting the HUD Type to Shortcut UI.

You can also use custom input prefabs and set it up the way you want it, including HUD components. Your button prefab's UI Content component can use HUD Content Provider components to show HUD information.
    For such a setup you'd set the HUD Type of the assigned slot layout to HUD and not select any HUD (i.e. None HUD).

Naturally, you could also just have a custom input prefab that displays the content how you want it, e.g. just an icon with some text in a corrner, etc.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks for all that!

Can we start with - WHAT is a shortcut? is it the shortcut to some data, like why is it called a shortcut. You said Assigned Slot Content Layout can use Shortcut UI, and its where a lot of us get lost, as the tutorial doesn't use them, nor the UI keys I keep reading about.

How about just a quick idea of how to setup Shortcut UI for inventory items? Would make my day sir! thanks as always!
  • It's the same setup as used in the shortcuts HUD tutorial, i.e. take this shortcut UI setup as an example.
    I should probably make that a standalone tutorial for setting up shortcut UI, since it'll be used in other tutorials as well :)

Anyway, a shortcut is an in-game instance of something 'useable', e.g. an item, an ability or an equipment. Everything in the inventory is a shortcut.
    The shortcut UI is a way to design how that content should be dispalyed in different parts of the UI. You can also create different setups and identify them via their UI Key (which you define where you set up the shortcut UIs).