We have an element to our gameplay where the user is able to create their own dynamic information from our website that is used within combat and within the inventory. The user is able to swap this information in and out at their discretion.
The user can input text and images within our website, this gets imported into unity and is handled with GraphQL.
We have this working in our game with our own custom code before we began using ork, now we're trying to find the best way to integrate this into the ork flow.

We think that creating a weapon category to house this data is the best place to create placeholders for this data for the player access.
Then in combat we would find a way for the schematic to reference that data within the battle sequence.
It’s important to note that we want to have more than one of that placeholder item simultaneously, each with different data based on dynamic user-created content.

Is this the most efficient way of doing so? We're trying to keep it as in line with your existing system as possible to reduce the volume of custom custom code we will be creating.

If you have any other suggestions then we would love to hear them since we are planning on beginning to build it soon.
  • Hm, you could change that information in the settings in a running game, e.g. changing the icon, name or description of an equipment or ability.
    This just has to be done each time the game is started, as those changes are not saved with save games.

Alternatively, you can make limited changes on individual instances of things like equipment, items or abilities. They allow to override the name and description (there are also nodes for that, e.g. Change Selected Data Name node), you can change their custom variables and equipment also can set status bonuses.
    There's no icon change possible here, though.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Ok thanks for that @gamingislove ive passed it onto my team mate. Would you mind sharing any other nodes that you think could be useful for this?
  • Well, the Change Selected Data Description node can change the description. Also, the Store Selected Data Content node can be used to get current content (e.g. name, description) from something stored in selected data and put it into a string variable.

In case you want to create new equipment (or other things), the Select Item node can also create new instances instead of getting it from an inventory.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Great, appreciate it @gamingislove ill pass it on!