Hi, just wanted to know if ORK uses any sort of pathfinding when navigating units on a grid during grid combat.
  • That's up to the schematic used by your move command. It handles the whole movement along the path, so if you want to use pathfinding, that's where you can use it.

The path selection doesn't use pathfinding, it just creates a path along the grid cells - so if something shouldn't be moved on, that has to be set up in your grid, e.g. via a blocked cell.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Hmm, but if you're not using any pathfinding algorithm, then how exactly are you building a path from point A to B on the grid while avoiding obstacles (blocked cells)?
  • Well ... you can technically call it a pathfinding algorithm, but it's not something like A* pathfinding or NavMesh.
    It gets all cells the combatant can move to based on blocked cells and cell connections, basically just going cell by cell starting by the user's cell until it can't go any further (limited by move range/costs).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Ah, ok. I just assumed there was some sort of pathfinding going on under the hood since there is a working example of grid combat in the tutorials. Have you ever tested if the implementation of "pathfinding" scales up well, performance-wise?
  • It's as performant as it can be for the task it handles. It's also not used constantly - when the player starts a move selection it's used to calculate the available cells once.