edited October 2022 in ORK Support
Hi!

I have a small menu that is always shown to the player when in the field, but that's hidden when the player interacts with an NPC or opens some menus. Let's call this menu the Field Menu. This menu only has two buttons: one to open the character menu and another to open the save/load/quit menu.

Now, I hide the Field Menu when the game is paused, notably when the player is in the save or load menus. In Menu Screens > ''Field Menu'' > Button List, I added conditions to hide the buttons when the game state ''game paused'' is invalid.

It works correctly until... I load a game. The Field Menu buttons are hidden (the menu is shown, but the buttons are inactive) and I am absolutely unable to make them reappear, even if I toggle the Pause game state with a schematic. Opening or closing the Field Menu does nothing, as the buttons are always hidden. When I inspect Makinom while running the game, it says the Game State - Game Paused is False, so I really don't understand what's wrong.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Post edited by max_power on
  • How's that field menu called/shown? Menu screens are usually only displayed when called, e.g. via input key or a schematic.
    So, when loading the game, the menu would not be shown automatically unless you have something set up to call it.

For something that's permanently displayed I'd recommend using HUDs instead. They have their display conditions to manage when to display them (e.g. via game states or variable conditions). Via HUD Click components you can perform actions upon clicking on parts of it (e.g. your button) to call a menu, start a schematic or other things.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited October 2022
    How's that field menu called/shown? Menu screens are usually only displayed when called, e.g. via input key or a schematic.
    So, when loading the game, the menu would not be shown automatically unless you have something set up to call it.
    The menu is called with the event that makes the transition into the field scene. And when the game is loaded in the village, I have a schematic that automatically starts when the level is loaded that calls the menu. However, that is unecessary because the menu is still open when the level is loaded, it's just the buttons that remain hidden.

However, I noticed something weird when I load a game:

As you can see, the game starts with the Game State ''Game Paused'' Active... but only the 2nd one, not the first one. I guess that when you set ''Pause Game'' in the Save Game Menu options, the saved game retains that Game State... so when you load the game, it's still technically paused... So that would explain why the buttons remain hidden... But I tried to have a schematic running to change that Game State to Inactive, but the buttons remain hidden.

What's weird is that I can still do everything normally after loading a level, despite that game state...
    For something that's permanently displayed I'd recommend using HUDs instead.
    Huh... I didn't know about HUD Click. I always thought HUDs were just to show info and UI boxes to receive inputs! Ok, I'll give it a try next I have enough time to play on this.

Thank you for your time!
    Post edited by max_power on
  • Ok, I got it to work very quickly using a HUD with HUD Click.

Thanks a bunch! I already found a few other uses for HUD Click :)