The 2D Grid Battle RPG tutorials have been updated to use an easier way to handle directional 2D animations.

Previously, this was handled via the movement direction and was rather complicated, leading to strange issues (e.g. bumping into something caused looking into the other direction).

Now, the combatants use this setup:
- root of the prefab rotates to face the direction it moves into
- sprite on child object (with animations) always faces camera using Face Camera component
- rotation is forwarded to the animator controller as a 4-directional value (0-3), which lets the animator use blend trees to play the correct animation for east (0), north (1), west (2) and south (3) directions

This also makes some changes to some of the schematics animating battles, as they can now simply use the Rotate To node to face a target.

In case you where currently doing those tutorials, I'd recommend to restart doing them from the beginning - and don't forget the (also updated) tutorial resources, since the prefab setup has changed.
Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Hi! I am having a bug with the new tutorial; I followed the instructions exactly as far as I could tell, but the rotation isn't forwarding
  • Do you get any error/warning in the Unity console?
    Make sure you're using the latest resources with the rotation setup (animator controller should have the Direction parameter) and your setup in ORK and the animator controller match (case sensitive names of states and parameters).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • No errors/warnings. All the things you mentioned were correct; I fixed it by enabling Base/Control > Game Controls >ORK Control Settings > Player Controls > Rotate Z Axis. This wasn't mentioned as necessary in the tutorial, however.
  • Ah, sorry about that - updated the tutorial.