I'm trying to add the following features to my item collection:

1) Cancel the collection if the player moves

Unchecking "Block Player Control" allows the player to move, but the animation still continues and the collection still occurs. Is there a simple way to cancel the animation and collection operation?

2) Use different animations depending on the type of collecting being done.

I'd like gathering a flower to be different than mining a stone. It doesn't look like there is an out-of-the-box way of doing this. I assume I have to use schematics?

I've tried to play around with the "Schematic Settings" of the Item Collector, but I don't know how to manipulate the Item Collector inside the schematic. I assumed I could access it via Actor: Machine Object but that ends up just being the item inside the collector!

I know there is a "Start Item Collector" schematic available, but I have no idea what that does. The name itself is confusing to me because Item Collector are already "started" just by existing in the world.

I'm happy to read through any documentation on any of this if its available somewhere.
  • edited October 2022
    1) No, currently not.

2) Yes, you'll have to use schematics for that. The item collectors can automatically use schematics before/after collection where you can do custom stuff like that. The item collector is available as the Machine Object of the schematic, you can also get it's item via Select Item Collector node.

Alternatively, you can collect an item collector's item via schematics as well, e.g. starting it via an Interaction Machine that plays a schematic handling the right collection and just calling the collector's collection. That's what the Start Item Collector node is used for.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!