Hey guys, I'm in the process of learning ORK, makinom and I'm having questions about features and solutions. Here they are:

My game is completely turn based. That is, even on the world map, the player moves step by step along the hexagonal map. The whole system of turn-based combat/gridmaker is fine. So, offhand, what are the easy ways to use the grid & turn system to move around the world?

Second question. In my game most of the skills are tied to equipment, not character class. Where can I read how to attach skills to equipment?

And the third question. I want to make equipment have upgrade slots. Upgrade items - give an increase in stats + new skills for equipment. Also, it is understood that upgraded items can drop from bosses, and upgrades can be pulled out of equipment / inserted into another if there are upgrade slots available. How do you think how to implement it with ORK?
  • 1) Hm, beside using custom scripting or Makinom to implement such a system (e.g. see the 2D Roguelike tutorial series for Makinom), you could probably have an ongoing battle in each scene via a passive combatant.

Passive combatants don't particpate in the turn order and don't use actions, but can be targeted and attacked. So, e.g. have one somewhere it can't be reached or attacked and just have a battle going for the entire time :)

2) There isn't a specific tutorial for them, since there's not that much to do for this. You basically just add an equipment ability to your equipment, select the ability and some other optional features (e.g. allowing the combatant to learn the ability).
    See the equipment ability documentation for some general information.

3) Depends on the details of your upgrade system.
    Generally, you can add status value bonuses to equipemnt using schematics. First store it in selected data either something equipped on a combatant via Select Equipment node, or from the inventory using Select Item node. Afterwards, use Change Equip Status Value node add status value bonuses to the equipment stored in selected data.
    You can also use a Change Selected Data Name node to change the name, e.g. to a +1 variation or something like that.

Alternatively, you can use conditions on status bonuses added to your equipment's setup, e.g. using variables.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • BAOBAO
    edited November 2022
    1) Yes, I thought about this decision to use a passive combatant. But also in the learning process, I noticed that some features are tied to the state, for example, is it in combat or not. Offhand, do you think the implementation of moving around the world as a technically constant battle is a bad idea?

3)The details of the upgrade system are very simple.
    There is equipment. It may or may not have upgrade slots. And there are upgrades that increase stats and give new ability.

And upgraded equipment with random upgrades can drop from enemies.

Many thanks for the replies with links. And thank you very much for the softwares you made!
    Post edited by BAO on
  • edited November 2022
    1) Let's say it comes with it's own challenges :)

The main thing to consider is what parts of the (non-battle) gameplay are hanging on the turn based system. E.g. if it's just player moving over the map, it might be easiest to handle that via a custom player control or using schematics for that.

If this also involves movement of enemies, NPCs, etc. it could be better to have them all be part of an ongoing battle.

3) That should be doable with the things I mentioned. Equipment variables can be used to handle if slots are available (and already used). Adding abilities has to be done via equipment abilities (e.g. via conditions that are set by equipment variables), though. You currently can't randomly add abilities to an equipment like you can status value bonuses (as I described above).
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!