I'm working on a turn-based combat, and I'm trying to set it up so both combatants will attack in a combat, even if one dies. The easiest method seems like it would be setting up counter-attacks to happen 100% of the time, but is there a way to make a combatant counter-attack even if it dies?
  • No - dead combatants are dead and don't use any actions (other than the death action).

One way around this could be to not automatically use death, i.e. set your health status value's Death On setting to None.
    To cause death, you can e.g. use a Battle Turn End Schematic in your turn based battle system, get all combatant's who's HP is 0 and use a death action on them. Or have their battle AI use the Death action if their HP is 0.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I only know about realtime battles in ork but: I would've created 2 new values, one max normal and one consumable named something like "second wind". Make IT the one with "death on". Make a new status effect called "dying" that is applied constantly when HP is at minimum. "Dying" decreases "second wind" by 1 point per second, and you fine tune it by adjusting the "max second wind".

I'm doing something similar where neither maxphysical, nor maxmental carries the death on, but maxspiritual does. When maxphysical is at minimum i apply "dying" which allows you to only use mental and spiritual abilities for 8 seconds (which is grotesquely relevent) and after that you go into ghost mode limited to only spirit abilities.