edited December 2022 in ORK Support
I want to use Flying texts during Status value changes - Damage and Critical damage. Set up the UI prefab and animation according your tutorial. Doesn't actually matter what settings I use. Spent already 3 hours trying to make it work but nothing happens.

I can see the texts popping in the UI, but they always spawn on -73886 x-axis and 1700ish y-axis position despite any settings used.

Can anyone help out? Is this a bug or something?

Unity 2020.3.37 and ORK 3.7.0 + Makinom 2.8.0.

EDIT - If I use a manual set anchor position, I can put it in the center of the screen, however, they are still greyed out, like turned off, even though they display a valid number. Why is the gameobject set to 'Off'?
Post edited by Machal on
  • Flying texts (for status value changes) are displayed using the position of the combatant - e.g. if your combatant setup has a child object of the prefab moving and you don't use the Child As Root setting (combatant prefab settings) to let ORK know about that, the unmoving root object position is used, which can be anywhere far off the camera.

Also, if your flying text settings (in UI > UI Settings) use the Check Visibility settings, flying texts that are not visible to the camera are turned off to improve performance, that's why it's turned off :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited December 2022
    Well, luckily I still have my ORK 2 project where I can check the settings. While that one has no problem displaying it either on the combatant or it's child, back in ORK 3 it goes full retard and displays the flying text at -75k-ish on the X-axes and around 1500 Y-axis.

Nothing in the settings changes it, whether it's set to 'own position' or 'Child as root' or 'Default Flying Text Positions'.

The UI box prefab is set to a center of the screen. There really shouldn't be anything off setting the anchor. Looks like a problem locating the combatant from ORK 3.
    Post edited by Machal on
  • Could be camera related - do you have multiple cameras in the scene?
    Make sure only one is tagged as main camera.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited December 2022
    Yes, I have multiple camera and only one is tagged as Main camera.

In battle I use 'BattleCamera' object with camera and always one is active only.
    Ability events are also set to 'BattleCamera' as I use it with events.
    Post edited by Machal on
  • Still - the previous camera is still the camera ORK will use to position the flying texts. It has no way to know you are switching cameras.

Try adding an Is Makinom Camera component to the battle camera (and your main camera). This component will set a camera as the used camera when it's enabled. Should make the switch recognized by the system.
  • Yes, adding that component to all cameras finally fixed it and it shows!
    This definitely should be included in the tutorial as one of the causes! :)

thanks a lot
  • Added that information to the flying text tutorial and documentation :)