Hi,

before I put a lot of time into learning this framework, I'd like to ask if it's possible to do these, for an open world 3rd person arpg.

- The players have separate animation layers, so they walk with the lower body, but the upper body's animations are depending on the currently equipped weapon. Do I have to integrate a custom controller with the ORK framework, or can I just add/swap animation controllers on the fly?

- The NPC behavior is depending on some external script, like 'Blaze AI Engine' (one of the asset store packages).

Thanks a lot in advance!
  • edited December 2022
    MysticalWhoosing said: - The players have separate animation layers, so they walk with the lower body, but the upper body's animations are depending on the currently equipped weapon. Do I have to integrate a custom controller with the ORK framework, or can I just add/swap animation controllers on the fly?
    Yes, that should be possible. The animation setup itself is up to you, you just need to let ORK know how to play your animations, e.g. via directly playing/cross fading them or setting parameters, etc.
    Swapping out can be done in different ways, but the most convenient is to use ORK's Mecanim animation setup to swap animator controllers, e.g. for an override controller that just changes some animations. Equipment and (since this week's new release) the item type of equipment can override animations when a combatant has them equipped. So, you can e.g. set up sword animations that override the animator controller and use that for all swords via their item type.

MysticalWhoosing said: - The NPC behavior is depending on some external script, like 'Blaze AI Engine' (one of the asset store packages).
    Not really familiar with that asset, but if it can call custom code (or can be extended with custom functionality), it shouldn't be too hard to have it call the combatant's battle AI to decide on an action, or directly fire an action on the combatant (a bit more complex).
    E.g. calling a combatant's battle AI decisions:
    combatant.Actions.Choose(true, true);
    This uses the battle AI (and AI equipment) to decide on an action and register it with the battle system (e.g. in real time battles immediately executes it, unless the combatant is already in action).
    combatant is the instance of the Combatant class, can e.g. easily be found via a combatant's game object - learn more about that in the combatant scripting documentation.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • This sounds great. Thanks a lot for the quick answer :) I will dive into the tutorials between the holidays.