edited December 2022 in ORK Support
Hello again,

I'm getting more and more familiar with Ork, but the UI as we all know can be pretty tricky. I've followed the tutorials and I have a pretty good grasp of the normal way to do it, but now I'm looking to make a main menu where instead of a list made of and on a dynamically stretching UI, I want a main menu where instead each option is made of individual, equally spaced buttons, that also fly in individually, both with the buttons and the background in a world space, sorta floating, but still full screen.

A mockup of it is below; as you can see there's sort of a 'tilt' on the buttons and background that imply its in a world space.

I know that's a lot, and UI is its own thing so broad strokes answers/guidance is okay, but I'm really curious as to how Ork in particular handles this.

Thank you!

Post edited by FeldFour on
  • edited December 2022
    Menu screens don't support using world space canvas somewhere in the scene, only the canvases created for your UI layers - so you could probably do this via a canvas prefab used by the UI layer of the menu's UI boxes.

You can use individual buttons for each menu item in 2 ways:
    - set them up as placed inputs on your UI box prefab (also allows placing them however you like), the content (icon/text, etc.) still comes from your menu screen's content definitions
    - use Custom Input Prefab settings in your content definitions (e.g. Button List menu part menu items).

Naturally, you can also create a custom menu and e.g. use an Animation Machine that's started by a regular Unity UI button and executes a schematic, e.g. calling a menu screen or whatever :)
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Oh, I think I didn't articulate myself very well, that's my fault; what I'm actually trying to achieve is a Screen Space-Camera, so I'm okay with those shrimp panels being a regular, static general background, however I'd still like the individual menu items/buttons 'floating' above it, as you see in the example above.

Here's what it looks like now; what I'd like is for the blue menu screens to appear 'floating' over the background. (I'm ok with the shrimp background being a static overlay.

Here's what I got set up; a Canvas that's setup as 'Screen Space - Camera' with a special GUI Camera attached to it. I think that's what you're supposed to do;

However I'm not sure what to do with that custom Canvas next. I'm trying to put it in one of the UI Layers.

...However, no luck, because it always looks like this, the background pushes all the way up to the forefront.

Thanks as always. Your help is getting me closer and closer.
  • AFAIK the overlay canvas will be displayed above the camera canvas, since that'll be displayed a bit away from the camera (based on it's setup).
    Try putting your background on another UI layer with a screen space camera canvas (or the same UI layer).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!