Ok so, I was told that I couldn't save battle progress mid battle....

I tried it and it turns out this is true...

BUT,

When I changed the "save combatants" option to "current" in the save game settings, and auto saved mid battle (on a grid battle), upon loading the save, all the combatants in the battle we're still in the spots they were in when I auto saved. This was only the case for a split second before the scene's battle schematic kicked in and reset the battle scene.

I almost had it, it seemed. But I'm not sure how to make it stick. But I certainly see that it is possible.

Is it possible that anyone can look into this? I'm thinking if I set a variable in the battle schematic that, when checked, will decide if the game should reset the battle when the scene is loaded or not, would the battle pick back up after the most recent turn before the save???

I'm gonna test this on Monday maybe. But it would be nice if some others looked into it and came up with a good solution. Saving mid battle in grid battles is common in turn based games. In fact I can't think of a more recent tactical turn based game that can't save mid battle.

I'm using the battle schematic from the 2d grid battle tutorial with very few changes.

Any thoughts?
  • Generally, saving combatants, their stats and positions, etc. is possible - but you can't save the state of the battle, being in battle, mid-action or already registered actions.

So, while you can e.g. save that you've reduced the enemy's health by 50%, you can't save that you're currently fighting that enemy.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I only meant saving after completed turns, I didn't mean mid-action.

I'll look into it on my end though. There has to be a way to load turn order and so on.

Chess games, and any recent tactical turn based games (BG3, phobies, etc...) Have that feature.

Hmmm. May I ask for that capability in the future. As I said, it's common for games to allow that. Players will expect it, especially on grid based tactical games, because tactical battles can last quite a long time. It's nice to be able to turn the game off then come back to the battle later.

• It's on my list to support saving in battle to some degree (e.g. as you need, between turns), but I can't tell when something like that will be available yet.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Fair enough. I changed the story to accommodate not being able to make the game survival based like I planned. If a player can just quit mid battle before his team gets wiped, then he can keep skipping the whole "lose everything when you die" punishment.

I switched to the "souls like" style of using set save points. So if the player quits mid battle, he loses his unsaved data in the same way he would if he got wiped, so why not just play to the last hit ... And if you know you gonna lose, then existing the game will just get the L over with.

This can work fine, but I need my players to be able to have short play sessions on mobile, so I'm reworking the battle balance to make most battles end quicker.

It's not perfect, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.