Hi, what would be the best way to implement equipable skills? Instead of simply acquiring skills as the character levels up I would like to implement a system where on top of learning a skill the player will have "memory slots". Even after learning a skill the player still needs to assign a skill to a memory slot for it to be usable. What would be the best approach to achieve this system?
  • I'm not sure if this is the "best" way, but what I would do is make 5 (or however many you want) 'equipment' slots for your abilities. Then, have specific equipment items, that can only go in these equpiment slots, that grant said abilities.

That way your abilities aren't tied to the player/class, and can be equipped / switched around, along with keeping a restriction of only up to X at a time only without needing to go too deep into code or conditions.
  • edited January 2023
    There are 2 ways to handle it:

1) Use equipment with equipment abilities to have actually equipable abilities that are only available when equipped (can also be set up to be learned by the combatant, e.g. by receiving exp).

2) Learn the abilities as usual but limit the actions available in battle to things that are put in shortcut slots. E.g. via the battle menu only having Shortcut options or using control maps/HUDs with shortcut slots.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks for both of your replies I was actually leaning more toward equipment with skills since I'm modeling the skill system closer to a classless system where you can learn skills from "Tomes". But I wasn't sure about 2 things
    - I think there is a system that lets you learn abilities but can this system grant you equipment items instead
    - Can I change the number of available equipment slots based on increasing a status value?
  • CobaltBlue73 said: - I think there is a system that lets you learn abilities but can this system grant you equipment items instead
    There are different ways to learn abilities. One of them, research trees, can be used to also get equipment, items, quests, status values, etc.
    Otherwise you could e.g. use crafting recipes to get the equipment, or have your tomes add them via their schematics.
    CobaltBlue73 said: - Can I change the number of available equipment slots based on increasing a status value?
    Not automatically.
    Equipment slots can be added or removed in different ways, e.g. passive abilities, status effects or using schematics (Change Equipment Slot node). So, you could e.g. set up a Change Schematic on your status value that impacts the available slots, do checks in the schematic and add/remove slots as needed.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!