Hello everyone!

I am wanting to show a UI Icon of the equipment equipped to an equipment slot on an Ability Choice Button. Where would I start to add this additional content to the Ability choice?
  • The only way I can see this working is via using a HUD in your Ability Content Layout settings of your ability menu screen (or the battle menu's ability option).
    E.g. using UI Key Setup to use shortcut UI.

To get the menu user in the shortcut UI prefab for displaying the combatant's equipment, you can use the HUD Menu Shop User (Content Provider) component. Use that as content provider for the equipment HUD elements.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • @gamingislove Thank you for the insight! Excuse my lack of understanding about HUD creation. I am having trouble wrapping my head around the steps here to create and use a Shortcut UI.

So am I creating a HUD prefab to add as a HUD that I can choose in my Battle Menu > Ability Option > Ability Content Layout?

I am unsure how to create the HUD for this. Is there a tutorial I should follow?

Always appreciative of your support!
  • The shortcuts HUD tutorial has an example setup.
    You need to create shortcut UI prefabs and use them for your shortcut UI setup in the editor.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Hello @gamingislove! I paused on setting this up and am just getting back into it.

I went through this tutorial and have a shortcut HUD set up. When I have auto-display on, it shows up, but doesn't auto fill with the equipment type I have attempted to get it to fill with. Is there a way to set each shortcut slot to correspond with displaying an equipment slot?

Additionally, I can't seem to assign this to only appear when selecting an Ability. I attempted to add the HUD as additional content in the Battle Menu Option. Am I doing this in the right place?
  • Shortcut slots aren't equipment slots. You need to use e.g. a HUD Equipment Slot (Content Provider) to get an equipment slot of a provided combatant.

Is your Ability battle menu option using Own Ability Layout and defining the HUD stuff there?
  • Yes, Ability battle menu option - Own Ability Layout is checked. I have a unique Choice Info Button prefab for it so I can customize that menu.

I have my abilities being sorted by a variable 'abilitySlot', so they will change order almost every turn. I want to show four different Equipment Slots from top to bottom, e.g. 'Gem Slot 1' on the first ability in the list, 'Gem Slot 2' on the second ability, etc..

I imagine they could appear on the right side of the Choice Info Button, but I also want to be able to add a tooltip for the Equipment shown, or at least add the Equipment description to the whole Choice Button Tooltip.

https://imgur.com/a/pUp0kFb

Where do I add the HUD Equipment Slot (Content Provider)? And how do I accomplish the above with it?

As always, very much appreciate your support!
  • Yeah, I don't think that's possible via the layout - the Own Ability Layout lets you define a separate layout to use for the abilities, but not per ability.

You'd need to add that to the shortcut UI you can add to the layout. HUD Condition components can check for your abilitySlot variable and display different equipment slots based on that. The HUD Equipment Slot would come in here.
  • I added the HUD Equipment Slot (Content Provider) to the Shortcut UI Prefab, but the Equipment Slot I chose does not show up in the HUD. I think I may have this Shortcut UI set up wrong, because everything I do just shows the Empty Slot UI.
  • I can check it out if you send me a small Unity test project with your setup.
    You can reduce the size by removing the Library folder from the Unity project's folder - zip it up, upload it somewhere (e.g. dropbox) and send me the link to contact@orkframework.com.