I'm wondering exactly how height mechanics work in 3D Grid Battles.

Specifically, do grid elements of a specific height block Line of Sight?

For example, if I had a unit directly behind a 1Y high cell on a grid, and an enemy unit directly on the opposite side, would my unit be able to target the enemy with a ranged attack?

The same goes for specifying parameters for certain area abilities (for example, a frontal cone attack would not target cells above a certain height).

If this is not possible, can I add it myself using something like raycasting or lines?
  • The Check Height Differences settings are used for that in your grid shape settings. You can define if and how cells are checked for being above or below a cell.

Line of sight only checks for cell state stuff, like blocked, occupied, etc. - e.g. this can be used to not have cells behind combatants (from user's perspective) be targeted.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Is there a way I can add this? I'm only using flat XZ 3D isometric square grids (kind of like Tactics Ogre).

For example, if I could write an editor script to set a height field for each cell based on the Y transform of the cell, then reference that variable elsewhere using ORK?
  • You can probably use the Variable Conditions for the grid shape. Grid cells can use object variables (can e.g. be set up in the cell type settings), e.g. using a float variable to define a height parameter.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!