I haven't looked deep into this yet but I wanted to ask just in case it isn't possible. Can you revive party members in grid battle using the combatant selection menu instead of selecting their character on the grid?

Also, does the character have to be on the grid after they die to still be revivable?
  • Sure, should be doable - though the target menu is only shown if it's enabled generally.
    E.g. not using a use range should include combatants not on the grid.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • How do I remove a battle character from the grid after they die? Since I have a limited grid space I need every battle character to not occupy space once they've been defeated, but I also need to be able to revive them at will. I'm not seeing an option to accomplish this.
  • You can remove the combatant from the cell e.g. in the death schematic - the Set Grid Cell Combatant node can also remove a combatant.
    Otherwise, destroying the combatant's game object should also free the cell.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Yeah, I just noticed that earlier, now I'm trying to figure out a way to target the character with an revive ability but I'm having no luck once the character is no longer on the grid.
  • Is your revive set to a None use range (or just using own use range without any ranges added)?
    If the combatant's game object is destroyed it also leaves the battle completely, at least for non-player combatants ... not 100 % sure if this is also valid for player combatants.
  • I am using the main player as a test subject and it doesn't leave the battle on death. I've set everything to none range and the character still doesn't revive. All that happens is the ability gets used and the turn ends.
    If the dead character is on the grid with the ability using 1 range, they revive just fine, so perhaps some discrepancy is happening?
    I've also discovered if I reference the character directly in the ability schematic animation I can revive them there. It's a bit of a work around.
  • Hm, will give it a test.

Is your combatant selectable by the action and targeted (e.g. animations, effects, etc.)?
    Make sure the ability/item is set up to revive the target :)
  • edited February 2023
    gamingislove said:
    Is your combatant selectable by the action and targeted (e.g. animations, effects, etc.)?
    Make sure the ability/item is set up to revive the target :)
    No, nothing gets targeted as far as I'm aware, normally the selection option would pop up and the animations I set would happen, but nothing happens at all and the turn just ends. Yes, I have the revive bool ticked.

Now that I think about it, let me test to see if a target is picked.
    Edit: Okay, the player isn't getting targeted when I use the revive ability without a range like mentioned earlier. I tested it by storing the targets name in a string and displaying it in the unity console. It works when I use 1 range while the player is dead on the grid.
    Post edited by Dre788 on
  • Alright, tested it - yeah, seems like combatants not on the grid are not targeted in any case.
    Will fix that in the next update.
  • edited February 2023
    Great. I also managed to find a method to select defeated party members and revive them using the ability animation. I use dialogue choice to let the player select the defeated party member, along with Start Grid Cell Selection to let the player place the revived party member onto an empty grid cell. This method works really well for what I was looking for.
    https://imgur.com/oV7BT37
    Post edited by Dre788 on