Hello!

I have been checking around the forums and internet for help on this and I haven't found anything, so far. My apologies if this has been asked and answered elsewhere.

I am working on a combat system very similar to the Action RPG tutorial. I went through that tutorial to learn about ORK in general, and then started my own game from scratch while modifying the steps of the tutorial.

What I'm trying to do right now is tell if a DamageDealer has been activated in code so I can react in a script. This would be for something like breakable items, flipping a switch with a weapon attack, and other non-combat damage dealing actions.

I'm currently trying to show when the Damage Dealer is active through a Debug.Log() or changing the color of weapon. I have passed the damage dealer into a script I have (SerializeField property) and I check it in Update. The problem is that I can't tell when the "weapon" tag has been activated by the attack schematic (following the same method as the Action RPG tutorial) as the DamageDealer seems to always be active.

I would like to be able to do some notification in the 40% or so window of the animation that the damage dealer is activated. Is there a way to do this? Am I missing something simple?

Thanks so much in advance!
  • Hm, yeah - I don't think it's currently possible to check if the damage dealer is active or not via scripting.
    I'll add that in the next update. There's no way to check by which tag it was activated, though - that's not kept around, just checked on activation.

If you actually want to destroy stuff upon hitting it, you can add a passive combatant to them using an Add Combatant component and enabling Is Passive.
    Passive combatants don't do anything but can still be targeted or killed via damage dealers. Adding a damage zone to them allows you to hit them with the active damage dealer.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks! I'll try the Is Passive feature. Would I then need to make a new combatant for every breakable object I want to have? Or could I create a "breakable" combatant and reuse that? I guess setting the prefab on the combatant makes me think it will need to be a separate combatant record.

And having access to when a damage dealer is activated would be awesome. I don't think tags would be necessary, at least in my case. I would like to highlight the weapon or something during the window it can deal damage for the aforementioned debugging. And it could be cool to have the option to do other things in that window that I haven't even thought of, yet. :)
  • Just like with any other combatant, they can use the same combatant for each of them, e.g. a dummy 'breakable' combatant with 1 HP.
    A combatant's settings are just the settings, each instance in the game is it's own separate combatant - e.g. you can also join the same combatant to the player group multiple times if you want (like the 2D Grid Battle RPG tutorials add multiple combatants of the same kind with randomized names and prefabs).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!