I would like to create a menu where I press a button and it pauses, brings up a shortcut menu showing all automatically assigned available field skills on the player arranged in a circle/ring like this setup:

I tried building an ability menu but I couldn't get it to display individual skills with a circular UI layout and it always wanted to select an ability type first even when set to merge/none.

I did follow this tutorial but I'd like it to be a HUD within a menu and I'm not sure how to do it.

Thanks.
  • There are different options here, but generally for the circly layout, ORK provides a Circle Layout Group component that you need to use for your UI prefab (i.e. UI box or HUD).

For just showing them, you could stick to the HUD and e.g. use the Toggle Key settings to handle showing/hiding it. Pausing could be handled via open/close schematics of the HUD.

For a full fledged menu that can e.g. also change them, you can use a Multi Slot menu part in a menu screen. This menu part allows setting up pretty much every slot available in ORK, i.e. shortcut slots, equipment slots, class slots and AI slots.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • That helps a lot, thanks I was able to build the menu the way I wanted.
  • I'm using Multi-content with only active abilities of one specific subtype for this menu.
    These abilities are just for use on the field, to activate switches/interact with the environment rather than affect enemies or allies.

Is there a way to either
    1) Pool all abilities into a single group (menu user), say character 1 has 2 useable skills and character 2 has 1, the menu just shows the 3 (different) skills.

Or
    2) Only show menu users who have skills that meet the requirements (have at least 1 field skill learned) and automatically skip past them when switching user.

Or
    3) lock the menu user to only be one specific combatant regardless of their position in the party (So long as they are available)
  • 1) A menu screen can only show the things of it's current user, so you can't really have it display abilities of 2 different combatants at the same time.
    The only way around this would be using group abilities, i.e. the abilities are learned by the group and not the individual combatant.

2) While menu screens have settings regarding who can use them, there's no detailed conditions available for checking something like that.

3) You could use the Open Schematic of the menu screen for that. Schematics have the Change Menu User node available to change the user of the open menu.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I tested using group abilities and that seems to work well.

For option 3, how would I select a specific combatant? The Change User Menu doesn't let you directly select a combatant. The settings node also doesn't let you directly set a specific combatant as an actor.

I tried using Check Combatant and then save it into selected data via Select Combatant of the player but I think I've set something up wrong there as it isn't changing the menu user. (I have attached the schematic as an open schematic to the menu.)
  • You can use a Select Combatant node for that. Enable Use All Combatants and use the Group combatant scope. Object is the Player, this'll get all group members of the player group - but you use the Filter Settings to only get specific combatants based on your conditions, e.g. a status condition for being a specific combatant.
  • I haven't been able to get that to work yet. Here are the settings for my Select Combatant node.

And my Change Menu user node

I added Check Combatant node that prints if the selected character is in the data, it shows them available when in the group/reserve and unavailable when not added to the party at all. However my change menu user node never seems to make any changes.
  • Ah, sorry, small adjustment to make:
    - have the menu screen's settings not wait for the open schematic (i.e. Wait (Open) should be disabled)
    - use a Wait node before the Change Menu User node, even a 0 second wait should do it
    The issue is the menu screen not yet being opened, so it's user can't be changed yet. With not waiting for the open schematic and having a short wait before changing the user should fix that.

Also, you can leave Is Enemy on Ignore in the filter settings of the Select Combatant node.
  • That's solved the problem, it's working nicely now.
    Thank you.