All,

When playing an RPG that allows you to create your party, how important (as a player) to you would picking a portrait for the characters be to you?
  • Absolutely important! Well, to me that is =)
  • Creating your party from scratch? As in class/race/gender/etc?

Important, but not necessarily a dealbreaker depending on the game; dungeon-crawlers like Legend of Grimrock just gave default portraits based on race.

It'd be most important for the Player character, if there is one.
    Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
    I make RFI! https://twitter.com/NootboxGames
  • @Kirb
    Able to pick portrait and class. Able to roll for stats (STR, DEX, INT, etc)
    I may add picking 2 starting abilities for the class as well.

Based on an answer I got from GIL, to allow portrait selection to work properly with the save game, I would need to program that myself (really don't want to do that :) )
    OR, create separate combatants for each portrait type so it can save. Hence the input.

Side Note: As an alternative, I have thought about giving the player a stock party; but, allowing them to mold each character in terms of abilities through training, equipment, etc. This would be easier for me to implement through ORK.
  • Since you can do stuff like changing class, stats and learn abilities using the event system, the easiest way is to make a combatant per different portraits.
    How many portraits are we talking about?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • @GIL
    8 portraits (4 male, 4 female) for 4 playable characters. That would be 32 combatants for the players. Plus, I haven't figured out how to get a combatant from the database in code. My current setup has a start event fire off the Join Active Group events which then gives me access to them within the code.

I'm not set on doing character generation. So, using my alternate method of character development (mentioned above) is still a possibility. I've been spending the past month to really get to know ORK and still learning :) In the end, I'll go with what I find fun to play as a player and what I think potential player's may enjoy. However, it has to be fun for me first. I'm the one that has to play the same thing over-and-over during all of the development and testing :)