edited September 2014 in General Discussion
Am using my own control script and have Controls set to none and added my script in there--movement is fine until I open the Menu, click on Inventory and Back and the Menu closes--I'm frozen and can't move. What could I be doing wrong? Thanks.
  • edited September 2014
    I'm ok if I press the M button on desktop to open the menu and press the M button again to close it.

Same for the Inventory menu, press I to open and close it.

But I added a Back button in the Inventory and that seems to be causing me problems.

If I hit I to open the inventory and then hit the Back button I freeze and can't move.

I need that back button on mobile.

I also need a Back Button from the Overview Screen but don't know how to do that.

Dont' know why am having a problem any help is appreciated.

I also freeze if I try to use a potion from Inventory on the Player. I can't move.

Am setting up the basic gameplay in two games at once and I set up the menus for each one separately using the tutorials but have the same result in both so it can't be that I didn't do something in one and not in the other.
    Post edited by Catacomber on
  • Do you also have this behaviour with the built-in controls?
    You can add a back button in the Overview screen by selecting the menu item type Close for your button.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited September 2014
    It seems to happen with the built in controls also. Not sure what's wrong. Trying different things. I freeze when I use the Back button in Inventory and if I try to use an item on the Player.

Using First Person and player has no real animations but has the use and attack events.

I got things to work the way they should but not sure how. I enabled the potions to be used in the field and set the Back button to First. : ) Anyway am ok now. Thanks.
  • It seems that I had done something to keep the potion from being subtracted from your inventory when you used it on a combatant. I think that's what made me freeze.

Any idea what box I checked or unchecked to make that happen? Because I fixed this in one game somehow but not in the other---going to have to go back through the tutorials again and match up what I did.
  • Hm, could be a problem with menus that pause the game - can you give me some details on your menu screen's settings?
    E.g. when using a potion is animated in the field and used in a pausing menu, it wont be used until the game continues (i.e. the menu is closed).

Probably should add an option to not animate stuff when used in menu :D
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited September 2014
    I just ran into this as well. I'm not using any special scripts, just built in controls. It happens when I use a couple a buff type abilities and then a healing ability out of combat. Not sure if that's relevant. In looking at GiL's post above this one, the Heal does animate like a potion would, showing how much is healed. But the game never comes out of pause...

Edit: Just wanted to add that seemingly random actions while in character related menus can the pause problem. I opened the character status menu and it happened. Also just trying to healing after combat via spell. Not sure if this helps. Just trying add more information :)
    Post edited by Squeaker on
  • edited September 2014
    Thanks, Squeaker---sorry you're in the same boat. : )

EDIT to Below: I see there's an update that's coming that might clear this up. If we're using First Person, what do we have to do if we don't need an animation playing--just a sound when you use an item in inventory?

Am using First Person so am not going to see much animation but I hear it. : )

The Overview menu opens and closes fine.
    The Inventory menu opens and closes fine. Everything is ok as long as I don't try to use a potion on the Player.

If I tap on the Inventory menu and try to use a potion on the player--Health potion or Mana potion--I hear the audio that is part of the animation play (following the animations set up in tutorial--use and calculateEffectTarget).

But I freeze and the count of the Health Potion or Mana Potion that it sounded like I used never goes down.
    I'm using it in the Field and have Both checked off and Field ticked in the two places it needs to be.

using iOS platform but don't think that's significant.

Puzzling thing is it works fine in Omber but not fine in Alluria. I put them in separately each time following the tutorial but when they both froze I tweaked things. Not sure what I tweaked in Omber--trying to go back and look at everything to figure it out.

The key thing seems to be that you're in the field AND you can't consume the item and then you freeze. "Consume" is definitely checked off on the item.
  • Those issues will most likely be using pause menus in situations where using items/abilities will trigger actions (i.e. battle events) - which wont perform because the game is paused - next update will bring an option for that :)
    If you still want to animate this stuff when called from the menu, you'll either have to use the option to close the menu when after using (at the top of a menu part's settings) or not use pause options in menus.

@Catacomber
    You can set up an audio clip to be played in the user/target change settings of items and abilities. Those should be played regardless of being animated or not :)
  • Thanks very much for your help and the update. I don't have any pause menus that I know of unless a Wait is considered a Pause.
  • If you're using the Pause Game option in your menu screen, the game will be paused while the menu is opened.
    If you don't use this, something else seems to be going on - and in that case I'd need a small test project where this is happening, because it's not happening with my setup :D
  • I've got the Equipment and Ability menus in now and if I press on an Ability and then try to close the menu, I freeze once more.

Let me finish putting the menu screens in and then I'll send you a small test project.

Thanks very much.
  • edited September 2014
    Lo and behold, somehow I got everything working ok. Tweaked a few things. Added a key for Abilities…..

And added "Close after use" in the inventory and ability menu parts.

Thank you for your patient help.

Am not through all the tutorials yet but almost there ---right now my only problem is not getting a Death scene to trigger---no game over. Don't know why.

Thanks again, gil. I think ORK2 is fantastic. If this problem happens again, I'll be back with hat in hand but so far so good--except for the no death scene. : }

• Thanks for the update on what you did Catacomber.

I tried adding Close after use as well and I still stayed paused if the item or ability did a refresh notification animation such as restore health. The other thing I noticed is I do not have Pause Game checked in the Base Settings of the Inventory or Abilities menus. I'm not sure how to proceed at this point.
  • I think we have to wait for the update. I don't have Pause Game checked either.
  • @Catacomber
    Is this happening in one of the projects you've sent me?
    In my quick tests I didn't run into it there :)