• You will get the rare orkanite gem :)
  • in Omber you can mine Orkanite. : )
  • Cool beans, I'll happily take any comparison to Chrono Trigger. :D Haha, nice Cat and Alex. There were going to be some unique rewards from the games but I've only got about half of them designed/implemented as of yet. Incorporating Orkanite sounds excellent to me, and I hadn't thought of unlocking areas - don't see why that couldn't work. :)
    My little chunk of the internet: http://artemic.com
  • edited January 2015
    Alright, Demo v 1.1 is finally available for download here. :). There're also some updated pics from the circus zone over on the website. Here's the basic changelog:

~Escape Key/ Game Options Menu is now functional.
    ~Players can now select the main character’s name on New Game, either from a
    random assortment or by typing in their own choice. (Entering in a custom name doesn’t work from controller input - I'll get on it at some point.)
    ~Players can now change the screen resolution and graphics quality of the game, either from the Main Menu or from the Game Options Menu.
    ~Journal no longer displays finished quests to streamline UX/UI. Completed quests will be displayed elsewhere.
    ~Small updates to how quest activation/finished console text is displayed, hopefully no more messages showing up on top of each other.
    ~Minor environment updates to Kingsbridge and house interiors.
    ~Bugs in changing character jobs fixed. AP saved and recalled correctly per character, no longer resets to current level’s minimum. Old job skills removed when changing jobs.
    ~Camera doesn’t clip as badly when traveling over steep terrain.
    ~Main Menu scene got some cosmetic upgrades.
    ~Numerous small bug fixes such as collision issues, typos, and other embarrassing things like that.

I've also started a short list and straw polling for an actual *real* name, not this goofy working title I've had for the past year. In no particular order, does anyone have any preference or hatred for any of these?

~Half-Priced Heroics
    ~Bargain-Bin Heroics
    ~Half-rate Heroes
    ~Discount Hero Quest
    ~Amateur Hero Hour
    ~Budget-line Heroes
    Post edited by Firrerreo on
  • Hello @Firrerreo!

Just tried out your v 1.1 Demo of "Super Not So Secret RPG", and I want to give you my first impressions :D.

First of all, I love the writing. You manage to get an interesting story that is hilarious. I could not stop laughing. I also find the graphics very charming, and the textures are really well done. Character models a bit rough, but works well with the overall style.
    The Battle System is classic, and it works.

Overall impression is: A charming and hilarious RPG that got a lot of potential.

Keep up the good job :D
  • edited January 2015
    Downloading. : ) Here are some synonyms for irreverent which I gather your rpg is from reading. : ) Let me see how it plays. : )

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/irreverent

Might suggest Cheeky Heroes and Sassy Heroes. : ) But can't really say until it finishes downloading. : )

Post edited by Catacomber on
  • edited January 2015
    Well I just killed my first Rat. You can imagine how exciting that is for a cat. : )

Let me just skin it and enjoy. : ) Very tasty.

Venturing further tomorrow. It's six hours past my bedtime right now.
    Post edited by Catacomber on
  • Thanks for the feedback guys, it helps a lot. :)

@Tuxedo, I'm glad you like the writing. :D Yay! Always worried that some of the lame jokes will fall flat. Agreed on the models, I'm hoping to take a pass at a lot of these early ones again once I get towards the end of the total production.

@Cat, Haha, yeah, sorry for the large download size. I haven't finished my optimization pass so there's some big crap in there remaining that doesn't need to be quite so large. Oooo "sassy" is one of my favorite adjectives, I'll have to see if I can work that in. I *hate* naming things.
  • I'll check out your demo tonight when I get home from work.
    Out of curiosity, how long did it take you to complete the demo?
  • Cool, thanks @Keyboard. :) The whole demo took around 7 months or so to do, but that was including a lot of off time where I didn't touch (most of the summer) and also time working on parts that were cut from the final demo. If I had to hazard a guess for the work actually represented, it was right around 700 hrs worth.

The majority of that time was spent on stuff that's useful for the entire game (like the combat systems and making all the template prefabs for everything), and time that was spent *only* on the demo (polish, local beta testing, feedback and fixing, finagling barriers to cut off the rest of the game) was around 100 hrs.

My MSProject file is woefully out of date. You remind me I need to keep better records.
  • @ferrero

how did you do the current/max HP?
    i'm stuck at a default HP bar
    anyway nice demo! :D
  • Tried out the demo up to chap 3. Took me a few tries to download without getting a corrupt file. Not sure if it was on my end or yours :)

Overall, nicely done.

From a technical perspective, I didn't run into any bugs, crashes, etc. However, there were two issues that stood out.
    1. The camera angle at the beginning of chap 3 was blocked by the flag. I couldn't see any of the characters.
    2. This is a big one, if I am to meet Milo at the tavern after the upduction, why is he still in my party when I was accosted by a street thug and a rat? :) (liked the upduction word play)

From an art perspective, I liked the style that you took. I'm guessing you are targeting mobile devices.

From a personal perspective, I would never play this. I HATE ATB battles. Never liked them.
    Either go full action RPG or go turn-based. Never liked the combining of the two.
    Being a JRPG style game, the story didn't suck me in. Not sure what would grab me here since you didn't go full on high fantasy.
  • It's interesting how many of us here prefer one style or another of battle. Some of us prefer real time, some turn-based, some active-time. : ) I like them all. I like very much that demos or videos in the showcase here give us a chance to experience different types and the different creators' choices.

I often wonder what Picasso first said when he saw his contemporaries' work for the first time and what they said when they first saw his. :)
  • @Ferrero, please, don't take offense to my personal tastes. Build the game you want to play!

@Cat, yeah, I've played various RPGs with differeing combat styles. I found, for some reason, I hate the ATB style of battles. :)
    HOWEVER, I will play a game with ATB if I like the story,setting, etc.

I think Picasso's first works were along the lines of traditional techniques. When they saw his cubism work, "I think your eye is in the wrong place" :D
  • @Keyboard
    Thanks for the catches! The camera one's proving to be a little tricky to track down but I know exactly what i screwed up on the Milo thing. Derp, stupidity. Heh, and no offense taken. I personally can't stand straight turn based and not a huge fan of party-based realtime action. To each his own. :)
    I tested the download files again and maybe it was timing out and corrupting? Really weird.

@Alex, which HP bar? The one in the battle huds or on the status screens?