edited February 2014 in ORK Support
I was using the Change Status Value events and noticed the "Show Console" checkbox. It doesn't trigger any messages in the Unity Console so I presume that it displays only in the custom ORK console.

Does anyone know how to create such a console so I can view my events triggering?
Post edited by gamingislove on
  • This means that it'll display the message in the ORK console HUD - it's an in-game console, you can find the settings for the console in Game > Console Settings and create different console types for different messages.

The console itself can be displayed using a Console type HUD. It doesn't require setting up any complicated HUD elements, simply selecting the Console HUD type and a GUI box and it's ready :)

But it might actually be a nice idea to optionally also display the messages in the Unity console - I'll put it on my to-do list for the next update!
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited February 2014
    Thanks for the quick response GIL!

I found the Console Settings and turned them on. I also created a HUD from Menus:HUDs, but nothing shows up and I get an error when trying it in the game:
    ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
    Parameter name: collection
    System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.Int32].CheckCollection (IEnumerable`1 collection) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/List.cs:435)
    System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.Int32]..ctor (IEnumerable`1 collection) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/List.cs:58)
    ORKFramework.HUDSetting.Create ()
    ORKFramework.HUD.AddBox ()
    ORKFramework.HUD..ctor (ORKFramework.HUDSetting hs)
    ORKFramework.HUDsSettings.Create (Boolean individuals, Int32 factionID)
    ORKFramework.GUIHandler+d__0.MoveNext ()
    Any ideas what I forgot to do here?
    Post edited by Nixter on
  • You're right, that's a bug - will be fixed in the next update!

You can bypass this bug by disabling All Console Types in the console HUD and adding the console types that you want to display.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I took your advice and got the error message to disappear, but I still don't see anything. I'm afraid I just don't understand how to make this visible when the game is running.

Could you create a tutorial on how to make a console? It would be helpful in understanding how this feature of the ORK framework works.
  • For the time being, I'll use Menu Screen:Overview:Information 2 to display the Game Variables I need to check while testing.
  • Game variable changes aren't displayed in the console - only the things that can be set up in the console settings will be displayed (e.g. learning abilities, status value changes).

If you're using multiple console types, make sure to add all console types to your console HUD.
  • edited February 2014
    The ORK Framework 2.0.4 "Unity Console Output" is working well. I can see the messages and use those to bugtest my events.

I'm now understanding the purpose of the console. In some older Western-style RPGs and MMOs, there is a feed of game info detailing what is happening in the world. Each weapon attack roll, each damage roll, each item found, each text spoken by an NPC. It's not for bugtesting, but for letting the player understand all the events happening in the game. Modern games like Skyrim and Fallout 3 don't have these visible, but older games like Baulder's Gate and Fallout 1&2 did.

I don't need a tutorial any time soon. You can put that on the back burner.
    Post edited by Nixter on
  • Yeah, that's the purpose of the console HUD - it's an in-game console for those message stuff.
    But you can also use it to things like monitoring your events, since you can add new console lines in the event system :)