• I am getting this error on startup -

Recursive Serialization is not supported. You can't dereference a PPtr while loading. (Constructors of C# classes may not load objects either eg. EditorGUIUtility.TextContent should be moved to OnEnable. See stacktrace.)
    UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:LoadAssetAtPath(String, Type)
    ORKSceneWizard:.ctor()
    UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility:LoadSerializedFileAndForget(String)
    UnityEditor.WindowLayout:LoadWindowLayout(String, Boolean)

- I don't know what it means and I don't really see it causing any issues so far. I did do a little research and a lot of the message boards say something about loading assets through the constructor, which I have no clue what that translates to in plain english. Should I be worried?
    You will always fail at what you do not try.
  • edited November 2015
    I've been getting the same error lately. It has a strange effect: sometimes it does nothing, sometimes it breaks various project elements, both ORK and non-ORK in an unpredictable way.

I eventually made the error go away by deleting Library and ProjectSettings folders inside my main project folder. Unity will automatically rebuild these, but it can take a while if you have a large project -- obviously you should always make backups. The error will eventually come back, but this way you can at least keep working on the project.

Note that reinstalling Unity, deleting Unity' Appdata and re-importing ORK did nothing to solve this problem.
    Post edited by Jade on
  • edited November 2015
    It's a Unity issue with having custom editors docked when opening a project - so far we're all waiting for them to fix it, and I wasn't able to find a workaround (yet) ...
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Hi there,

Since updating to Unity 5.2.3, I'm encountering numerous errors when I load ORK and click 'Menus' or 'Game'. Sample:

MissingFieldException: Field 'UnityEngine.TextEditor.pos' not found.
    ORKFramework.Editor.ORKEditor.TextArea (System.String name, System.String& text, ORKFramework.Editor.EditorTextAreaControl& control, Int32 optionType, System.String helpText, System.String helpInfo, ORKFramework.Editor.BaseEditor baseEditor)
    ORKFramework.Editor.BaseEditor.TextArea (System.String name, System.String& text, System.String helpText, System.String helpInfo, Int32 optionType)
    ORKFramework.Editor.EditorAutomation.Value (System.Object& value, System.Reflection.FieldInfo fieldInfo, System.Type type, ORKFramework.AttributeHelper attributes, System.String[] text, IBaseData instance, ORKFramework.Editor.BaseEditor baseEditor)
    ORKFramework.Editor.EditorAutomation.Value (System.Object& value, System.Reflection.FieldInfo fieldInfo, System.Type type, ORKFramework.AttributeHelper attributes, System.String[] text, IBaseData instance, ORKFramework.Editor.BaseEditor baseEditor)
    ORKFramework.Editor.EditorAutomation.Field (System.Reflection.FieldInfo fieldInfo, ORKFramework.AttributeHelper attributes, IBaseData instance, ORKFramework.Editor.BaseEditor baseEditor)
    ORKFramework.Editor.EditorAutomation.Automate (System.Reflection.FieldInfo fieldInfo, IBaseData instance, ORKFramework.Editor.BaseEditor baseEditor, Boolean ignoreHide, ORKFramework.AttributeHelper attributes)
    ORKFramework.Editor.EditorAutomation.Automate (IBaseData instance, ORKFramework.Editor.BaseEditor baseEditor)
    ORKFramework.Editor.EditorAutomation.Field (System.Reflection.FieldInfo fieldInfo, ORKFramework.AttributeHelper attributes, IBaseData instance, ORKFramework.Editor.BaseEditor baseEditor)
    ORKFramework.Editor.EditorAutomation.Automate (System.Reflection.FieldInfo fieldInfo, IBaseData instance, ORKFramework.Editor.BaseEditor baseEditor, Boolean ignoreHide, ORKFramework.AttributeHelper attributes)
    ORKFramework.Editor.EditorAutomation.Automate (IBaseData instance, ORKFramework.Editor.BaseEditor baseEditor)
    ORKFramework.Editor.GameSettingsTab.ShowSettings ()
    ORKFramework.Editor.GameSettingsTab.ShowTab ()
    ORKFramework.Editor.ORKEditorSection.ShowTab ()
    ORKFramework.Editor.ORKEditorWindow.OnGUI ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

-This is causing the Ork window to crash, making it difficult to proceed with my project. I've updated to ORK 2.58 (although, it still reads as 2.5.0 within the ORK window).

• That's an older issue with changes they made in Unity and is fixed. If your ORK editor shows you've 2.5.0, you're having ORK 2.5.0.
    Keep in mind that you'll only get the last supported version of your Unity version when downloading from the asset store (e.g. you need at least Unity 5.2.0 since ORK 2.5.6) - try updating ORK from the asset store now that you've Unity 5.2.3 installed.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Yep, that fixed it!

Thanks for the speediest resolution for an issue I think I've ever received ;)
  • The last update fixed some console-related issues, but it also introduced a new minor, but annoying problem.

After a console is populated with text, the scrolling slider appears in a wrong place (padding issue?):

After you fade out/fade in the console UI element, the slider gets back into the position it's supposed to be to begin with:

• edited November 2015
    I'm following the basic tutorial, http://orkframework.com/tutorial/game-tutorial/37-menu-screens-3/

But when I test the menu, I get these errors:

This happens on all menu I clicked (inventory, equipment, ability) when they're empty. They work fine when they have at least one item in.

Latest version of ORK I just downloaded yesterday.

Inventory/Abilities
    IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    ORKFramework.DialogueContent.UpdateScrollPosition ()
    ORKFramework.DialogueContent.Init (ORKFramework.GUIBox box)
    ORKFramework.GUIBox.ShowGUI ()
    ORKFramework.GUIHandler.ShowLayer (Int32 layer)
    ORKFramework.GUIHandler.ShowGUI ()
    ORKFramework.ORKCore.FireGUITick ()
    ORKFramework.ORKHandler.OnGUI ()
    Equipment
    IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    ORKFramework.Menu.Parts.EquipmentMenuPart.GetUnequipButton ()
    ORKFramework.Menu.Parts.EquipmentMenuPart.CreateEquipChoices ()
    ORKFramework.Menu.Parts.EquipmentMenuPart.ShowEquips ()
    ORKFramework.Menu.Parts.EquipmentMenuPart.SelectionChanged (Int32 index, ORKFramework.GUIBox origin)
    ORKFramework.Menu.Parts.EquipmentMenuPart.ShowTypes ()
    ORKFramework.Menu.Parts.EquipmentMenuPart.Show ()
    Post edited by Melimeli on
  • edited November 2015
    @Jade
    Investigating.
    Edit: Will be fixed in the next update.

@Melimeli
    Will be fixed in the next update :)
  • edited December 2015
    @gamingislove I know you mentioned that Unity handles all of the Garbage collection, but I'm kind of at a loss at trying to understand this huge stutter, which seems to have mysteriously gotten worse after the latest ORK update:

Every few seconds there is a really heavy GC.Collect which drops the game to below 15FPS, which feels and looks super bad. Is there anything I should be doing to prevent this sort of garbage collection with ORK?

I turned off all auto-start events, including global events, and the same hiccup occurs. (and it occurs both in builds and the editor!)

How much KB in GC Allocations per Frame should we be expecting with ORK? I'm getting about 65-100 KB per frame for ORK specifically, which seems like a heavy load compared to everything else I'm running, and seems like it might be the cause of the big CPU spikes on garbage collection (at least according to what I've read in the forums and docs).

Here's a more detailed look at the spike via Deep Profile, may be HUD update related?
    Post edited by Kirb on
    Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
    I make RFI! https://twitter.com/NootboxGames
  • Check out this link if you haven't already. Might shed some light into what is going on with your issue. Hope it helps.

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnderstandingAutomaticMemoryManagement.html
    You will always fail at what you do not try.
  • as @Kirb already mentioned, I also have some performance issues in 2.5.9.

I really just updated ORK to 2.5.9, after I have seen I have got some performance issues I switched back to 2.5.8 where everything works fine. So made some screenshots from the same scene from both versions:

Profiler: AssetsInBackground in 2.5.8
    Profiler: AssetsInBackground in 2.5.9

Profiler: BeginGui in 2.5.8

Profiler: BeginGui in 2.5.9

I always trying to solve issues by myself, but this time after 2 or 3 days bug searching, I now have no idea what to do. I know that ORK does not have anything to do with both issues directly (it is related to an other plugin). In 2.5.8 the peaks were totally okay (my game is kind of a research project), but in 2.5.9 with the same settings it just lags on my mobile devices.

Thank you.
  • edited December 2015
    @robahouston

Nah, I believe I understand how it works, I'm mostly just trying to figure out how to make ORK allocate less KB per frame, since it's building up so fast that GC is getting angry and giving me the lag spikes. (or so I'm assuming!)
    Post edited by Kirb on
    Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
    I make RFI! https://twitter.com/NootboxGames
  • edited December 2015
    Will investigate today and try to optimize.
    Naturally, this really depends on how you use ORK and it's features - e.g. in my test project (i.e. the demo), there's basically nothing going on. If you're having lots of HUDs that each have display conditions that are checked each frame, events going each frame, etc. this will use more memory, which will be freed at some point.
  • edited December 2015
    Did lots of tests - not running into any garbage collection issue. Naturally, doing lots of stuff will take more memory.

E.g. I'm currently running 100 global events checking variable conditions each frame. Each event checks for a float, bool, string and Vector3 condition - i.e. 400 variable checks per frame only for the global events. This causes about 180kb more GC allocation - which isn't really that much. Most of the allocation comes just from the used values, which can't really be omitted.
    There's very little room for further optimization here, as it's already pretty streamlined. I can probably gain another 10% less allocation by using switch statements intead of if-else-if ladders (and I'll probably do that, why not :D).

Well, as I said - GC spikes not happening on my end, so I'll need a test project where this happens to further investigate that (or at least more info on the setup that leads to it).

@widnig89
    Your GUI repaint issue isn't coming from ORK. Otherwise your profiler would show that in the ORKHandler.OnGUI() line.

Edit: Whew, just changing to switch statements in the variable conditions reduces around 40% GC allocation - might not be much for a single condition, but when doing that for several 100 conditions it sums up :D