• Jump to Gamedata Selection

Now that my game design is getting far along, I find myself with over 200+ areas, abilities, items, etc. When it comes to using the dropdown box to select them (for instance setting an Area Component's Area, selecting a Shop Item's Item, etc.), it can take over 1minute of scrolling down to each selection. I worry that as my game grows, it will take even longer.

It would be nice to have an alternate method of selecting a GameData selection by typing. I would be OK with using the GameData key (the entry number).

If this is too difficult, then an alternative would be to have these dropdown menus begin on the GameData key of the previous selection. So if I just selected Area 152, there is a good chance that my next selection will be Area 153. Having to start at Area 0 each time and then scroll down to the next entry is frustrating.
  • In Editor > Editor Settings you can enable Type Separation for many of the dropdown boxes - that should help you keeping things organized :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Ahh, I see. Thanks for pointing that out. That will keep things much more manageable.

Any news on the Battle Menu: Hide All Unusable Items/Abilities, I requested above? I'm really going to need that.
  • edited March 2014
    When using an item on a character, it would be great if the requirement check was performed when the item was used. At the moment, only the party leader seems to be checked for the item's requirements.
    Post edited by NewRealityGames on
    // www.newrealitygames.co.uk \\
  • Starting to make use of the attribute system, and here's a couple of things that woudl be useful :)

1. Attributes for status effects that change status values. E.g. I have a 'poison' effect that does damage every 6 seconds. I would like that damage to be modified by an attribute.

2. Can we have attack attributes work on abilities that add to the consumable stat? It seems that is not the case. I tested this by making an ability that has an attribute, giving the combatant 0 for that attribute. When I set the ability to subtract HP, the attribute works, and there is no damage done. When I set it to add HP, the attribute doesn't work, and the combatant is healed.

The use case would be ways to control the Heal amount based on different conditions (e.g. status effects that improve or reduce healing received). Right now I'm just making everything subtract damage (even heals) and using the attributes to change that, but it's a bit unintuitive to keep making all my healing abilities do damage, then reversing them with attributes. This is not critical since the workaround is very easy.
  • @Juryiel

For the first problem: Why not simply have the poison damage determined by a formula that uses the attribute in the equation?

Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
    I make RFI! https://twitter.com/NootboxGames
  • Could you elaborate? I'm messing around with the formula screen now and I don't see how to retrieve the value of the attribute of the target to use in calculations.
  • edited March 2014
    Combatant Step > Attack Attribute > Status Origin: Target?

Is the poison damage being modified by the combatant using the ability's stats or the target's?
    Post edited by Kirb on
  • edited March 2014
    The poison's target. E.g. the poison is a status effect that affects someone, and the affected person's attributes modify its damage (having poison resistance etc). I guess I'm not familiar with formulas as much, what does 'Add attribute' block do? It changes the formula value to the value of the attribute?
    Post edited by Juryiel on
  • edited March 2014
    I'd work on getting as familiar with utilizing formulas as much as you can; much of the framework's versatility comes from it.
    what does 'Add attribute' block do? It changes the formula value to the value of the attribute?
    Depends on the operator you set. It can be Adding, multiplying, dividing, setting it directly; etc.

Since it's the target's stats being used: in the formula you'll want to use the User's attribute, as the target will be the host for the status effect. They're "using" the status effect, so to say.
    Post edited by Kirb on
  • Yes, of course, slowly I'm getting the hang of all the features :) I'm very new to Ork and there's quite a lot here, so I often misinterpret what settings do. I've used formulas but I mistakenly thought only the 'Value' block sets the values and all other blocks would be logic blocks that determine what 'value' block to call to modify the formula value. Thanks for letting me know how that works, it seems like I can do a lot more with formulas than I originally thought! :)
  • Finally had a chance to try this. It seems to work with both User and Target set. I guess you're both the user and the target of your own poison :)

However, it seems that it doesn't update when attributes change. E.g. I apply poison, it damages for 10 every 6s, for 120s, using the attribute. I change the attribute to absorb poison, but the damage is unchanged. After it runs out, if I cast it again then it starts to heal. So it looks like the formula is calculated once when the status effect lands. Any way to force it to re-calculate when attributes change, or re-calculate every time poison damage happens?
  • edited March 2014
    I've been redoing my status effects and realized I should request an IsNotEqual option in Auto Apply/Remove when checking Status Values and Attributes. I've used some of my hidden stats like ID columns in a database, where I never use the number for math but it just translates into some meaning. So having an IsNotEqual comparison would make things quite a bit more flexible.

In some cases I'm actually pretty sure it's impossible to set up what I'm going for without causing an infinite loop, but I haven't run into a situation yet where an IsNotEqual check wouldn't save me.

Edit: Oh, it would also be really helpful if there was a way to create hybrid requirements that are halfway between All and One, e.g. an Auto Apply that always requires X and additionally requires either Y or Z. That sounds like it might be difficult to implement, though. (But I know little about programming, so hey, maybe not. :P)

Right now the best way I've come up with to create hybrid requirements myself is having two near-identical status effects with the same name where both use the All condition and one requires X and Y and the other requires X and Z. So at least that's still possible even now, unlike the IsNotEqual situation.
    Post edited by JellyPaladin on
    twitter.com/JellyPaladin
  • The new update was great, totally fixed an issue I was having. Since you're working on a new version I thought I would post some feature requests I've been compiling as I've been working.

-Status effects- End on variable. If the selected variable is set, the status effect ends.

-Multiple requirements for menu buttons. For example if you have both skill level X and Y amount of gold the menu button is available.

-An option to use mouseover to select dialog choices instead of keyboard selecting. Select as in this is the currently selected option and any info boxes are displaying info in this choice. The GUI options have really come a long way since ORK 1. The fact that I have to use the keyboard to select options is one of the big remaining things still holding it back in my opinion and it prevents me from being able to do a mouse driven interface. Depending on your menu setup When you open a dialog with choices or a menu the first option is always selected. This can cause information windows to become confusing for players, since it's showing information for an option they didn't select.

-Set item price via a formula. This way I can have skills that increase how much you can sell items for.

Thanks for listening!
  • Here''s a simple one: Single-click use of shortcuts :) Will go great with the new awesome targeting system