edited May 2017 in ORK Support
Hello!

First, thank you for the amazing work you've put into this framework. It's very impressive and a joy to work with.

Unfortunately, I'm running into an issue when building my game. I went through the full game tutorial with success, but in creating my own I am running into a game freeze at about step 18 when testing a battle.

I have done quite a large amount of work in the steps preceding this without testing, so I'm not sure when the issue was introduced. Here's what I know:

The game freezes upon starting a new game (clicking the top menu button), both in the editor and in an .exe build.

The game draws a black screen and then freezes the editor with no console error.

The editor freezes when clicking the "Calculate" button in Test Formula for any formula, even a very simple one.

Any ideas where to start troubleshooting?

Jacob
Post edited by JacobFalling on
  • Hm, sounds strange - in case you're using Unity 5.6, you'll need to revert back to Unity 5.5, as 5.6 isn't supported yet.

The formula freeze sounds like you've set up a loop the formula can't get out of (e.g. a formula calling itself or a series of nodes connecting to each other), but if that is happening in every formula, there's definitely something wrong ...

Does only the ORK editor freeze, or Unity as a whole?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited May 2017
    Hello, GiL.

I'm using Unity 5.5.x.

The entire Unity editor freezes (Ctrl+Alt+Del time!).

Definitely suspected a weird loop or even divide by zero issue, but I checked even a very simple formula and have the same result.

Does seems very strange to me, and obviously not easy to diagnose. When I've had freezing errors in the past before without a corresponding error, it's been utilizing Playmaker, which simply by its nature is easier to debug (can pause in every node until you find the bad formula, etc.), or else it's been from using frameworks that can get in each others' way or pull from an external data source (e.g. SQL). Nothing like that here, though.

I'll look around a bit more in a few hours. Maybe try switching to another scene on game start and go from there.

I definitely got excited and built out way too much at once....

Let me know if you have other thoughts. Truly appreciate it!

J
    Post edited by JacobFalling on
  • No luck.

I tried building another scene as the start scene, and same result. As soon as the start event gets to "Join Active Group" ... freeze. If I disable that node, no freeze... but that's hardly a revelation, since that node instantiates the player and everything that goes with it.

Jacob
  • check the player. i would suggest starting with a cube, then adding the player with no camera and build until you can see what caused it to crash. it can be time consuming, but it would be better than not having a character to call upon.

also, check to see if the level has more than one audio listener. my game dropped 30 frames because of that once.
  • Hm - seems like an issue with your combatants ... would also link to the formulas (e.g. testing them will use combatants as well). Did you set up your combatants correctly?

If that's not it, I'd need a small Unity test project where this is happening, send it (or a download link) to contact@orkframework.com :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • ah 5.6 isn't supported yet, this explains a lot, should visit this forum more often :)
  • yes @Phesant33. the forum gives a lot of great information. i got much further in my game with the help of the awesome advise given here.
  • Thanks for the suggestions, @gamingislove and @skwiggs1983!

Not having much success. I switched out the Player, Combatant, and Class to default versions. I switched to a simplified scene with nothing but a plane and spawn point.

One possible clarification: When I hit the button to start the game, the black screen draws for the fade, and it freezes, but the scene itself does not yet seem to change, at least in the editor -- it is still scene 0 in the Project Hierarchy.

Still freezes when testing any formula at all, even with a new default combatant.

I already have a lot of assets in my project, so not sure if it's easier to strip and send a project or just begin again. I'm worried something got unhinged in the formula setup (or a reference to them) badly enough that it's not reversible. I did build and then rebuild 30-40 formulas.

Jacob
  • @gamingislove...

Success! I started going back through the formulas and deactivating nodes one by one, with the idea I'd turn them back on again, and you'll never guess what I found...
    The formula freeze sounds like you've set up a loop the formula can't get out of (e.g. a formula calling itself or a series of nodes connecting to each other), but if that is happening in every formula, there's definitely something wrong ...
    The very last node in one event looped back on itself, which I didn't even realize could be done, and I simply hadn't seen because the edge happened to fall off the screen in the editor by default.

I think how this came about was because I had deleted half of the formula at one point, and for some reason the connection break connected the node to itself.

Of course, this was a formula that determines a value common to every combatant -- a defence attribute -- so new scenes, players, and even combatants didn't help.

So you were right all along!

Is it possible to create a runtime break for something like this? PlayMaker put something like that in as a debug feature.

This isn't and shouldn't be Playmaker, of course (or even Makinom). You really do strike a great balance... quite a lot of possibility, but with a user-friendly environment and learning curve. And the tutorials are first-rate.

Thanks again. Great toolset. Great forum.

Expect my game to be released anywhere between three and three-hundred months. ;-)

Jacob