• edited September 2018
    This is all fine with me! :) You absolutely deserve to get paid more for the work and time you have put into this project!

So I understand better, Will we be able to increase our Patreon donation to gain access the most updated version of ORK or Will we need to purchase a full version of Ork Starting next week via Unity Asset Store?

Also I wanna add that I think a Monthly Sub would be great if possible.
    Post edited by gameintern on

• You're right to do that Gil

I'm preparing my next project and I plan to do it on the future version of ORK (with makinom).
    If we buy ORK2 we will have ORK3?
    And this is planned for when?
  • @gameintern
    There'll be a new Patreon tier for access to latest release versions through Patreon - I haven't yet set a price for this, but it'll definitely be higher than the beta access tier.

In any case, you'll need a valid ORK license to be allowed to use ORK, i.e. purchased it in the asset store at some point. You don't need to purchase another license in the asset store, only if you want to gain access to updates through that way :)

To put it simple, you can get updates through:
    - purchasing a new license every 12 months
    - pledging enough on Patreon to get release versions (which still requires a purchased license, even if it's 4 years old)

@avantis
    ORK 3 will be part of the 1 year update cycle, i.e. you don't have to pay extra for ORK 3 if you have a running 1 year update "subscription" when it comes out.
    Although I don't know when that will be, as work hasn't even begun yet :D
    I'm currently working on completely renewing Makinom's UI system to make full use of the new UI with a component based approach, i.e. no longer complicated setup in the Makinom/ORK editor in the future :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited September 2018
    Sounds good to me!!!!
    You have supported the site for so long, so I am on board for this!
    Post edited by gameintern on

• Just a quick heads up - ORK 2.18.0 will be released tomorrow (unless something goes wrong :D), which will kick off the new update policy.

While the update isn't as huge as previous main updates, it adds some much needed love to the battle system by adding cast times to most other actions (e.g. items or defending) and a brand new Timebar HUD for active time battles, where combatant HUDs move along a timebar like in the good old Grandia games (or Child of Light).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited September 2018
    Alright, the new asset is available in the Asset Store, although the upgrade path and new version 2.18.0 seem to take some time.

In case you want to update through Patreon, the new $25 pledge tier will grant you access to release versions.

You can find more details about the update policy and how to get further updates here.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
  • I've been receiving free updates since 2010 and I certainly think it's more than past time for you to be compensated for your years of hard work. Having two paths for people to get updates is more than most companies offer and very generous of you.

On thing I'd like to clarify - since I purchased directly from you originally, I've always gotten updates by email. Will there be a last email for 2.18.0, or will I need to use one of the other options?

Thanks,
    Don
  • @Don
    No, ORK 2.18.0 is part of the new update policy, so there's only a free update for those who purchased within the last 12 months. You should have received an email regarding the new udpate policy, though.
    So, yeah, you'll have to use one of the other options :)
  • This makes sense; and thanks for allowing us to grab the updates in two different ways. Since I generally only update for major bug fixes and features; I'll probably go the patreon route and periodically sign up for the release tier whenever I need some specific fixes.

GiL is seriously the only asset dev I've encountered that continues to offer great support for years and years; and if this method allows him to work even more on ORK, I'm happy to support it.

Now, to find that ancient license number...
    Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
    I make RFI! https://twitter.com/NootboxGames
  • edited September 2018
    Do it if you need. Its not so hard to pay like 100$/year for such comfortable thing. Also if it start to give you more money and you may spend moaaarr time to make it more perfect, it will be much moaaarrr better. )

Also, i promise to share some profit with you, if my game get any success after development. )
    Post edited by Maztah on
  • @Kirb
    You don't need your order number to get the update from Patreon - you just need a valid license to be allowed to use it legally :)

@Maztah
    Thanks, I'm looking forward to all that wonderful profit share :D
  • Color me extremely unhappy with this new business model of forced paid updates and deprecation/abandonment of the previous product.It's contrary to the contract in force at the time of purchase that requires free updates to what are basically works in progress based on the constantly need updates.I respectfully ask for a refund as I can no longer afford to be nickel and dimed to death by all the assets I own...Opsive..Goodrich...and now Ork....not going to pay another $100 on top of my original purchase price and will simply abandon ORK instead .You that are happy with the new model and own many assets must have deep pockets indeed and I am a bit jealous.
    I will be asking for a refund of each and every asset that I own that starts with this new business model and am already in discussions with Unity about the sudden, hidden, and unannounced change to their sellers agreement which according to their own language is only enforceable if you purchased after the contract change.It also occurred a day after I started discussions with Unity about Opsive and Goodrich.They're currently hanging their hat on a simple SKU change being sufficient for the charge for updates...not a very sturdy hook if you ask me.
    Please tell me who to forward my receipt number to...
    thanks
  • edited September 2018
    @imgumby I get what you are saying, but think it like this. When you buy an asset no one promises free updates FOR EVER, and no one will do that, at some point assets will be abandoned and deprecated, and this is in the right of the developer that sells in unity asset store.

What GIL proposed is that he is at that point that he might have to abandon the project if he doesn't make more money because it's not as profitable as other job opportunities he might have for the same work hours, instead he offered to continue supporting it but at a 100$/year, so you decide if you stay at the current version without updates (like what you would do if someone abandon/deprecate the asset), or pay for yearly updates.

My only propose is, to let old/trusted members have a more friendly approach via Patreon, for example I'm a 5$ Patron right now and I'm willing to pay the 100$/year too, this totals 160$/year for ORK, which I'm fine to give, but that is the top. Would be nice if I had the 15$ Patron monthly which totals again 160$ :) The 25$ Tier will bring problems anyway, because someone can subscribe and decline the payment before the month ends end never get charged, so Patreon can work only on old/trusted members anyway.
    Post edited by dlevel on
  • I was wondering how long it would take until imgumby appears. Based on his previous posts in the unity forum and other forums, it is clear he expected to be paid once and get supports from developers forever. Lots of people have tried to tell him otherwise, but his mind is already made up, so no need to say anymore, dlevel.
  • edited September 2018
    Waiting on someone that matters to tell me yay or nay so I can proceed.The rest of you detractors need to learn how contracts work...
    Simply put...If I sell you a home for $250,000.00 and send you a letter next month telling you that you owe me another $20K else suffer eviction...what will your response be ?? I'm guessing a quick insertion in the round file...same here..I bought and paid for assets which under the contract enforced at the time promised free updates as long as humanly possible with some provisions for paid upgrades but only if certain metrics were met. Bug fixes and implementation of core asset functions need not apply.
    They've since changed the sellers contract in the middle of my talks with Unity but fortunate for me I had the foresight to save html copies in anticipation of just such an act.
    so..waiting for official approval or denial of my refund request.The rest please don't troll...
    thanks for your time
    Post edited by imgumby on