• Hi there,

It's been a year now since this announcement. @gamingislove just wondering do you have anything to share regards ORK3 progress so far? Just curious, no pressures. :)
  • Lol, yeah, there's always stuff coming in between :)

Since ORK 3 will be an extension for Makinom 2, work on ORK doesn't start before Makinom isn't done. I'm just taking my time to make sure it'll be the best it can get - and M2 is mostly done, just missing an update to the HUD system.

The UI system will be a complete overhaul, dropping legacy GUI and going for a full component based system using the new UI. It'll be very extensible, customizable and the UI setup is now done like any UI in Unity, i.e. no longer in the ORK/Makinom editor.

I hope to have a first beta for Makinom 2 available in the next 3 month and will start work on ORK 3 afterwards, probably having a beta by the end of the year.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Whooot, best news ever.
    For Makinom 2, beside the gui changes, how much differences will it be compare to Makinom 1, in terms of using the schematics and are there going to be new nodes and stuff in which 1 doesn't have?
  • edited April 2019
    There's a lot of difference, but it's mostly in the background, so you'll not notice that much - although the editor also got a huge upgrade with new, searchable selection fields and stuff :)

The biggest change (beside the UI) would probably be that data is now stored in individual assets instead of one huge project asset (e.g. for ORK, an item would be stored as an individual asset). Beside no longer having to load all data on game start, this also helps with using stuff like GIT, as there are now unique GUIDs instead of index/ID referencing and selections are based on asset references.

There's also a change in how schematics are executed, separating the settings from the execution to improve performance when running a schematic multiple times and potentially add support for debugging in the future :)
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited April 2019
    The future is bright indeed! :)
    Thanks for the explanation, super exciting for what to come. As of now, my game is a mix match of ork and makinom together, using both the events and schematics to talk to each other, so having them both in one asset will be a huge plus.
    As for the potential debugging support, it sounds neat!
    By it, do you mean like in playmaker and bolt where you can see the schematics in action live?
    Post edited by Shadow_Fire on
  • I've been really enjoying using Ork. Ive got another game desinger buddy using it too so hopefully he'll have his stuff up on here soon!
    Miuratale : coming 2024
    Miuratale
  • @Shadow_Fire
    Yes, that'd be the idea - seeing schematics in action while playing, setting break points, etc.
    I haven't yet looked into actually doing that, but the new way how schematics operate should definitely help with it :)
  • Oh god, just thinking about it makes me hella excited. Way more excited then when you scratched the old event system and went node based. Would totally be way way way way easier to look at my schematics to see why something is not working.
    Praying for that in the future!
  • Always happy to see news regarding M2 and ORK3. :D
    Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
    I make RFI! https://twitter.com/NootboxGames
  • SK1SK1
    edited April 2019
    I am very happy to see the latest news from M2 and ORK, but I most hope that M2 can solve the problem with VRTK. I have not solved the previous problem. I have to experiment with Playmaker and can work with VRTK. I hope M2 can be like Playmaker. Same as interacting with VRTK.
    Post edited by SK1 on
  • edited April 2020
    One feature that I would love to see in ORK 3.
    Would be a simple simulation of prefab system. For example, if we could make a combatant archetype entity. And define some of the more commonly shared options here. Like animation and movement is something that is likely to be shared between most characters.

And inside actual combatant we could select archetype, and optionally override specific settings. There is already an example of this with some combat settings, that you can define globally or override on combatant. But, I think a more involved version of these would save on a lot of routine work.

+ For example you could use different archetype for Humanoids, Animmals, Object enemies etc.

For stuff like items and equipment, this could be even more useful.

I guess the Types/Category section could be one place that could be expanded into "Archetypes", And easily portable.
    Post edited by hellwalker on
  • ORK 3 will require Makinom
    This seems like a very unnecessary restriction, Makinom just calls code anyway so why can I just call the code myself, I don't like visual scripting.
  • Makinom's 'visual scripting' is basically the same as ORK's event system.
  • I want to hear the news on Orc3 =)
  • No new news yet - but you can try the public Makinom 2 BETA to test some of the new editor features that will be coming, as well as help improving ORK 3's foundation by giving feedback on Makinom 2 :)