I have been experimenting with Grid Battle demo. I wanted to spawn each single enemy on a predefined cell in a battle. So for example, when the battle starts a combatant evil caster will always spawn on cell 1,4 and evil pants will always spawn on cell 2,6.

As it works now, the battle component chooses a random enemy group from groups added to spawn combatants component and places those combatants randomly at enemy deployment cells which are nearest when the battle starts.

However, I don't want all of that randomness. I want to define which enemy will stand on which cell. I tried creating two combat groups containing single enemy. I added each to a different combat spawner placed on a desired cell with deploy enemy type turned on. This method doesn't work, only the enemy who first reaches battle participates in it, the other just stands there. Also the problem with spawning at random point remains. I tried adding add combatant component to specific cells, however it bugs out (it makes sense to bug out, game assumes I fight against the grid) and still spawns only one combatant. Tried adding combatants prefabs on the grid with add combatant component, however it still works the same as before. It seems I can't spawn enemies with cell events. Turning off hunting mode, doesn't work either.

Tried searching for clues in tutorials and old forum posts, however found nothing.

How can I get the results I want? I believe strongly about an importance of an encounter design, so if it is impossible to place each combatant on a desired grid cell, my game is already dead :(
  • Have you tried using the requirements options for deployment cells? Here you can e.g. require specific combatants or combatant types to be able to spawn on a cell.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • After getting rid off all unnecessary enemy deployment cells it worked. Thank you very much!
    Another question: do I need to create a specific combat group for each encounter (assuming that each encounter will have different enemy number and composition) or is there a way to force spawning enemies that are in requirements options for deployment cells?
  • There's no way to use enemies based on the deployment cell requirements, but you also don't need to create combatant groups for each encounter.
    Depending on how you start your battles, there are different ways to use multiple combatants or groups in a battle.

When using a Battle component, enable All Groups/Combatants to fight all combatants and groups you defined in the component.

When using Combatant Spawner components and starting the battle by running into them, use the Auto Join Settings (Battle System > Battle Settings) to have the surrounding spawned combatants also take part in the battle.

I'll look into options for having combatants placed on grids as a battle setup.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thank you!