So I've got game events where some things happen and then depending on the player choices a battle starts. I can start the battle through an object, but it always just spawns the first battle group that is defined and I would like to have a bit of randomization.

I tried to start the battle from an event, using a random battle area. But the event doesn't seem to be able to call on one of those. I could make several battle events and have the event randomly pick one, but I was wondering if there is a easier way to do this? Like calling on the Random battle area.
  • Using a game object with a Battle component in your Start Battle node will use the battle as it's set up there. I.e. if you've defined multiple groups/combatants in the component, it'll randomly select one for the fight (unless you've enabled All Groups/Combatants, in which case it uses all of them).

Otherwise, you could set up multiple battles and start one randomly using a Random node.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • That first option didn't seem to work. It always started the battle with the first group defined in the component.

So I used the second option, that works of course. :)
  • Hm, that's strange - which ORK version are you using?
    I've tested it before I answered to make sure it's working, so maybe it was just bad luck and you always randomly got the first group :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Hahaha, that is possible. I did test it a lot though, cus I didn't want to ask for no reason. my version is 2.25, I updated a short while ago.

It might still be I got the same one randomly, the nature of randomization can get weird.

It's working now though, using the random step in the event itself.