Hi there,

As the title suggested, I am thinking to prototype a mobile RPG based on ORK; the battle part of this game would be mostly like topdown shooting. I am sure that ORK can handle the RPG stuffs well for me. But in the meanwhile, I'd like to learn if there is any suggestions for setting up topdown shooting gameplay inside ORK? Specifically, on top of my mind now, would ORK good enough to handle the shooting animations and damages? Any other places you think I should pay more attention to (for getting ORK working properly for such a gameplay)?

Besides, as I mentioned above, this would be a mobile topdown game, is there any recommended packages for mobile inputs (I'm thinking two joysticks, one for movement and the other for shooting direction) and topdown controller from you?

Thanks for your time!
  • Setting up the shooting part should be pretty simple - use damage dealers/zones to do damage and have the abilities spawn prefabs and move them based on the player's direction (or direction coming from input).
    The fireball gameplay tutorial would be a good example for such a mechanic :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thank you, @gamingislove

Right, fireball tutorial was the first thing I have checked out for the gameplay I want to setup. I think my question is more around - would that be causing any potential issue if I trigger an ability by 2 times per second (imagine it's a mini machine gun); or is there anything else which doesn't mention in the tutorial but you think it's worthy to pay more attention to (for such a setup)?
  • I don't think that'll really be an issue on ORK's side - spawning (and destroying) that many prefabs is probably the biggest performance drain here, so I'd recommend using a pooling solution :)

You can hook up custom pooling solutions via ORK's Unity Wrapper functionality, you can find the settings in Game > Game Settings (at the bottom). There are e.g. integrations available for Dark Tonic's pool boss and core game kit.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!