edited June 2014 in ORK Support
Hello,

I have followed the tutorials and instructions down to the letter. I used custom characters from the unity store instead of Brown Pants (Maybe that's where I went wrong).

For some reason I can get the character to spawn, but I can't seem to get it to move at all.
When I am taken to the scene, I am the main camera. I attached the main camera to the player and when I try again the results is a character that can't move, and a wobbly camera that is attached in whatever position I manually put it in.

I've mostly worked on Environmental stuff before so this is my first real time working with importing custom characters and trying to make them work. Plus it seems that copying everything on the standard Asset 3rd Person Control doesn't work at all.

Can anyone help me figure this out?

Thank You!
  • Does your character have a character controller?
  • Yes it does. Could it be because I didn't mess with the Animation types? I placed the animations in the animator and named them the same as the Ork Framework names.
  • edited June 2014
    hmm..

Are you using the demo project to swap characters or your own fresh project?

In Base/Control > Player Controls of the framework how is everything setup there?

some things to try in the meantime

1. Instead of using the 3rd person standard from unity try setting up 3rd person controller in ork framework Base/Control > Camera Controls ex: Camera Control Type: Follow

or

2. in the same place(Base/Control) at the bottom > Custom Controls set up your custom 3rd person there(the unity default 3rd person you're using)
    Post edited by SteveS on

• I made a short video of the issue I am having. I hope this helps.
  • Are you using Mecanim for animations?
    If yes, disable Apply Root Motion in the animator's inspector - root motion and control via character controller doesn't work well together :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I don't think they were. I decided to delete them and start over, but now I can't even use the 3rd person Camera from the Standard Assets. I get their error:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ThirdPersonController.UpdateSmoothedMovementDirection () (at Assets/Standard Assets/Character Controllers/Sources/Scripts/ThirdPersonController.js:129)
    ThirdPersonController.Update () (at Assets/Standard Assets/Character Controllers/Sources/Scripts/ThirdPersonController.js:302)
    Any ideas what I did wrong? I think I'm making a mess out of my project file.
  • edited June 2014
    It's ok, no worries. Mistakes happen and it takes them to learn.

So far you're only affecting unity's standard 3rd person. I suggest just getting rid of it completely and just starting fresh using just ORK. It will be much easier.

So in your Assets folder> Standard Assets get rid of the folder called Character Controllers.
    You don't necessarily need it unless you want to make custom controls for ORK. I suggest first time around to just let ORK manage controllers for you in the framework editor

Next; make sure you have an actual character controller(physics component) like you have in your video on your character * the green icon character controller component under your animator

Next; make sure your animator has Apply Root Motion off like @gamingislove suggested

Next; Detach your Main Camera from your player but leave it in the scene.

Next go in the framwework editor here:
    Link Here

and set your Camera Control Type: Follow

You'll need to tweak the values of : Distance, Height, Height Damping and Rotation Damping to your liking.

There are many other preset control types in there too that automatically do their job thanks to @gamingislove

Next; in the same place above it in Player Controls setup your jump by enabling Use Jump

Hope any of this helps
    Post edited by SteveS on
  • Thanks for the tips, It's still not working for some reason. Everything is okay except the character doesn't move no matter what buttons I uses (Arrow Keys, W,A,S,D,). Would it move without any animations set up in the Animator?

The error I am getting is:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ORKFramework.Behaviours.ButtonPlayerController.UpdateSmoothedMovementDirection ()
    ORKFramework.Behaviours.ButtonPlayerController.Update ()
  • Sorry I'm not advanced enough to understand the errors proficiently. But that error def. has something to do with buttons ;) When @gamingislove logs on maybe he'll have a more direct answer to the errors.

This is boggling my mind. Everything on my end is working even with mecanim..

Can you post more screenshots of your setup?

Yes it would move whether you have animations or not it just wouldn't animate.

did you turn off Apply Root Motion on the animator?

did you change any of the inputs in the input manager? Make sure your inputs are correctly setup
    Edit>Project Settings> Input
    screenshot

Then make sure they are allocated properly in Ork Framework> Base/Control> Player Controls
    Vertical Axis, Horizontal Axis

and create a jump key input in Ork Framework Input keys if you've added jump.
    screenshot

Make sure all your Input Keys and Inputs correspond to eachother

• I have never touched any of the Inputs other than what you're suppose to do in order to get the Main Menu Working. This is baffling as I thought I could get my player's running and jumping around the environment easily. I was more worried about making a quick combat demo first. I'll take some screenshots soon of the Unity Input Manager, The Input settings in Ork, and anything else that could help figure this out. I have literally done nothing but set up the main menu, set up the player, set a start event, set a spawn point, and press play. Everything else is still set to default.
  • Ok, my guess is either there is no camera in your scene, or you don't spawn the player using ORK (i.e. it isn't connected to the player combatant).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I thought that making a video of my going through all the settings would help and then showing the errors I am getting. I hope this helps!

• UPDATE

So I can move the player now.

I copied the Main Camera from the Main Menu Scene and replaced the "Camera from the scene where my player spawns. This is because I originally deleted the Main Camera (Old Habit) When I was making the map and used the First person and Third Person controller to check my map so I can see it how the player would see it.

I then added the Main Camera to the Camera Control and deleted the Audio Listener from the Main Camera. (It's on the player).

From there I adjusted the Spawn Point by moving it higher in the air and Clicking the Place on Ground option.

The player now moves, but I can't see it's lower half.

Here's my issue now.

I can't see it's lower half AND it appears to be moving through the ground. Half above and Half Below.
  • So Now that he's spawning in the air, I can see that he's still connected and everything, he just keeps falling to about half way through the ground!
  • Sounds like your character controller is placed too high - if you can post a screenshot from your game (in scene view, not in game view) where we can see the character controller and its inspector settings, that'd help :)