• There'll be an option in the Use Battle Action node to completely ignore the conditions also when executing the action, coming in the next major update (2.29.0).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks! Can it also ignore ally/enemy setting?
  • I think so, but that should already be possible via the node :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited April 2020
    Hi!
    I want experiment with Gridless Turn-Based combat. What is the best setup for that?
    I Launch Turn-based battle without grid, and handle movement in custom controller?

Also, How do the ability variables work?
    Are the variables I define here changed to provided values when ability is used? For example can I use this to define a variable and check in events that this ability plays?
    Post edited by hellwalker on
  • Create invisible (or empty) assets for cells. Then have a grid composed of many small cells with characters taking few cell spaces on a grid. Create assets that would be outlines for abilities ranges, ares of effect and then spawn them when player needs info they provide.
    Voila, you have your own ToEE.
  • :DDD I'm looking to try something similar to Divinity Original Sin.
    Level design and gameplay approach is nudging me towards more open-ended design and I want combat to be startable from anywhere + not be limited to one area.

I'm thinking of maybe I can use a blank ability and tie it to custom move command.
  • There's no move command in non-grid battles, so you'd set that up as a move ability instead.
  • Thanks, trying that out.
    And about this?
    hellwalker said: Also, How do the ability variables work?
    Are the variables I define here changed to provided values when ability is used? For example can I use this to define a variable and check in events that this ability plays?
  • Yes, you can.
    Ability variables are per ability instance, i.e. if 2 combatants have the same ability, each ability has it's own, separate variables.

You can access the ability usually via the action selected key (i.e. Selected variable origin) in formulas that are used by the ability or the battle events animating it.
  • edited May 2020
    Hi. How can I get a list of combatants participating in battle from script?
  • There are various functions available via ORK.Game.Combatants, e.g. this will get you all not-dead combatants in battle, including the player group:
    List<Combatant> list = ORK.Game.Combatants.Get(true, Consider.No, Consider.Yes);
  • edited May 2020
    Hi,
    #1) I want to create a custom AI node, that will just wait for my delegate and then call "Next" output. That part is not a problem.

But, I'm a bit confused about how all that AI step delaying works. I figure I also need to create AIAction but looking at delayed actions like GridMove or Ability. Still a bit confused where that happens.

Could you point to where I can tell AI step that it's not finished processing yet?

#2) Is there anything blocking the custom code calls of Ability Use commands from being executed on combatant in battle when it's not combatants turn?

P.S. What I want to do is for Enemy AI, to launch a custom script through this node that will determine targets and use abilities, and then return AI control to ORK. Is this possible?
  • 1) Only events can have passing time - battle AI and formulas are instant call-result due to how they're used.
    So, there's no delaying by AI action nodes, they're either used or continue on to the next node (e.g. if the action can't be used due to use costs).

2) No, there is nothing preventing it.
    One thing to keep in mind though, if you add battle actions to the system, it might disrubt the turn/action order and lead to problems in the running battle, e.g. multiple combatants taking actions although they shouldn't, or battle getting stuck.
    Just using ability calculations without actually firing an action doesn't cause issues, though.

What you want to do isn't possible, at least not as part of the battle AI. As said, the battle AI doesn't involve any time-based decisions, it's just checking for a usable action and returns that. If you want to have a custom script, I'd recommend writing a custom battle AI node that handles what you need to do, but it'll still need to return the result immediately, without any delay.
  • Thank you!
    I found another solution but I want to make sure I got this right.
    So, the AI will always result in instant outcome.

But, what happens when AI tree results in Ability Use?
    Will AI stop until ability is finished and Re-Run AI's from start? or AI will continue Running parallel to ability use and Queue Actions?

Also, what causes AI to auto end turn? If no actions were performed like ability?