edited December 2020 in Announcements
Makinom 2's first beta version is finally available - and it took only ... *looks at watch* ... like 3 years?

A lot has changed, and a lot hasn't changed. The core concept and use of Makinom is still the same, but it has been improved with lots of ease-of-use features and under-the-hood changes. Some of the highlights are:
- searchable popups
- list data is now stored in individual assets
- revamped UI system
- better node editor (node groups, improved context menu, etc.)

You can read more and download the latest beta version in the official page.

I'd love to get as much feedback (and bug reports) as possible, and keep in mind that ORK 3 will be based on this, so let me know what needs to change or be improved :)

Currently it's only available for Unity 2019, as I'd like to focus on features and stability first. Let me know which older Unity versions you're still using!

Latest Version: RC 1 (December 6, 2020)
The first release candidate fixes some issues and splits the ‘Animation + Audio’ nodes into separate groups.
The Makinom Upgrade Tool is available (requires BETA 7 or newer), upgrading your Makinom 1 projects to Makinom 2.

Please note: RC 1 moves the Unity UI module DLLs into a separate folder structure, updating previous projects will most likely not do that (has no impact on functionality).

You can now download Makinom 2 demo projects (updated from the Makinom 1 demos/tutorials) in the showcase. The website will be upated in the coming weeks, moving the old Makinom 1 tutorials and how-tos into a sub-section and adding new ones for Makinom 2.

BETA 7 (November 29, 2020)
This update adds new gizmo icons, a new backup system, support for multiple portraits in UI boxes and dialogues, a Loop node and more extensible features.

BETA 6 (October 25, 2020)
This update adds an extensible interpolation system and CSV-based editor localization!

BETA 5 (July 25, 2020)
This update adds Unity 2020.1 (and TMP 3.0.0) support!

BETA 4 (July 19, 2020)
This update adds language export/import!

BETA 3 (June 26, 2020)
This update adds live debugging!

Documentation
- General information
- Language Content, Export/Import
- UI system basics
- Unity UI extension
Post edited by gamingislove on
Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • JMRJMR
    edited April 2020
    Congratulation :)

Reorderable lists is just super neat, can't wait to use it in ORK. Have you thought about having a folderlike structure build in lists?
    Post edited by JMR on
  • So positive feedback time.

Starting with reorderable list thank you for the love of god. You made my day just with this one change. This helps a lot if you have over 100 monsters in your game and decided to say reorder them by race or type after making them. In orkframework I started ordering the monster after typing them in which was hard, but this will make future changes easier. I know this will be a while before coming to Orkframework, but I can't wait for next year.

To the search settings to the right of the windows thank you. Having to scroll down to find one settings has been a major task in huge projects. Also glad you made a clickable list that only shows certain info boxes. This was one of my most wanted features.

The ability to use unity UI is another welcome change. Having some many textures for UI icons was a pain because I couldn't use atlases, but with this sprites for ions will be possible. This also helped lower draw calls a lot. I am getting used to the new Ui setup, but so far much better.

The general settings in the Ui is much easier to find now allowing faster ways to change the default settings. This has helped a lot with working with multiple Ui boxes that are the same. Combining this will making my own UI boxes with Unity's Ui system helps a ton.

The new referencing system in the schematics is nice too. Being able to drag and drop game objects into is going to be nice in the future for orkframework. I am thinking of it for a level manager gameobject which holds custom save interfaces. This helps a ton.

Still going through other things, but these features alone make life so much better.
  • First thing to follow after work!
  • edited April 2020
    I have tried some similar solutions on the asset store(Playmaker,Bolt, Behavior Designer, Node Canvas). Based on my experience, I think these two features would make the Makinom 2/ORK 3 much more competitive compared with those solutions.

1) Powerful and easy to use "Nested Events" feature to create reusable events. For me here the most useful was Bolt. Because it automatically allows the "Shared Variables" feature, and in addition it allows me to define different "Input/Exit" ports and custom parameters. Custom parameters really save time compared to variables.

2) Live debug. For me here winner was Behavior Designer, and it has a very simple interface for this. It just shows currently active node in green, and it shows CheckMark if node ran with success, and X if the node failed. With just these, at a glance, I was able to figure out what went wrong. Bolt has all the fancy animations and stuff, but I did not find that useful. The only thing that I found really useful, was that if the node ran with error, that node would be colored red and remain red after play mode was off.

With Makinom so far I found one small bug.
    The tooltip is a bit tricky, sometime I will select a dropdown and tooltip will pop up and block the selection list.
    Post edited by hellwalker on
  • Thanks for the feedback so far :)

@JMR
    No, and I think this will get a bit too convoluted, especially in ORK. Also, there's the jump list on the right side for that.

@hellwalker
    Yeah, the tooltip on open dropdowns will be changed in the next update, not showing it while it's open.

1) That's a great idea - generally, you can already have nested events via the Start Machine node, but adding different next slots based on outcome sounds like a neat idea.
    Due to how schematics work, it'd be a check on local variables of the started schematic, though.

2) That's something I'll (hopefully) add during the beta period, definitely on my todo list :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Nice to see Makinom 2 finally out for testing! :) Time sure flies fast when you passion with your work.
    From the news, I hope all the ease to use you make will attract more people to use Makinom.

Some feedback when I just read the news:

1) Add undo Ctril+z in the node editor.
    Sometimes I just want to undo what I change and get back the setting without having to create/delete a node or set it back manually. It is still faster to just press Ctril+z than reach the "Delete" after all :)

2) If debug will be add-in eventually will you also make it show what output a node sends to another node?

3) I think you should replace the "Comment" node with something like what you show in the group. Expand able and understand from a glance is really a time saver, also have it stick to a group is even better.
    Currently, when I revisiting my old schematic to check and change I spent a lot of time trying to understand how it all works, I have to find every "Comment" node and click on it to see what all of this node do.

The last thing, Will I report a bug in Makinom Support or here?
  • Bug reports in this thread, please :)
  • The new UI is a big improvement!
    Any chances to get some of the updates ported on the current Ork rpg framework?
    (for example grouping or zooming in the event editor)
  • Here a bug.
    Rotation Component and lock Rotation of the "Rotate to" node doesn't get save for some reason.

At first, I thought that I miss clicking save before close Makinom, but no, it really doesn't get save even thought I click save multiple times.
  • @Vlastan
    No, that'll come in ORK 3.

@Night
    Thanks, will fix this in the next beta :)
  • I was wondering what are you plans for the second beta feature wise.

Are you planning on adding anything or changing the current feature set.
  • I'm currently focusing on new ORK features for 2.29.0 release end of May, so the 2nd beta will mainly contain fixes for reported bugs and will probably be available next week.
  • Makinom 2 BETA 2 is now available.

If you've reported a bug/issue, it's fixed in this update. There's also a slight visual overhaul of the nodes. No new features, though.
    You can expect new features to drop in BETA 3 in a few weeks :)
  • Thank you for Beta 2.
    There is a small problem with my game build for Jam.
    The "Move" node when I test it in the editor it looks fine but when I build the game and test it. Move speed somehow slower than in the editor and it kinda jerky when moving.
    I don't know what the problem is, maybe because of my build setting? Schematic setting? Or the machine setting? I don't know.
  • Hm, I'd need to do some tests - can you post the details of the node's settings, or send me your schematic?

Generally, the Move should be used per frame, e.g. in a tick machine. If the built game e.g. has a framerate limit, it might behave differently due to that.