I am looking into configuring a phase turn battle system for ORK to behave similarly to Shin Megami Tensei 3 Nocturne / IV's Turn Press style.

Basically I am looking into a system where each member of the group can use one action per turn. The way the SMT system was built on is the number of action points rewarded for select action. For example, the party has 4 members, and thus 4 total actions per turn. There are two forms of action points: regular and bonus. Each round begins with full amount of regular points.

The following mechanic I have examined so far in terms of how much points are used for a given outcome.

Normal Outcome: a bonus point is consumed first before it consumes a regular point.

Critical Hit or Exploit Weakness: an action point is converted to a bonus point; consumes an action point if no whole point remains. (Basically 0.5 action point)

Attack Nulled/ Missed: two bonus points consumed; 1 bonus and 1 regular point consumed; 2 regular points consumed.

Attack Repelled / Absorbed / Failed Escape: All remaining points are consumed and turn ends automatically.

I am looking at how can I implement this in ORK, slightly simplified?

From what I understand from within the Phase Battle setup, I am assuming the following settings
while the rest could be handled in a script:

Actions Per Turn: 1

All Default Actions Cost (use remaining ticked): 1
None (I am assuming it is Passing) (use remaining ticked): 0.5
Change Member Cost: 0 (since I want to have player switch characters instantly)

I understand the action points calculation would be handled by the event script to determine how much the action points cost after an action resolves and if so, what are my options?
  • Well, actions per turn are per combatant, so using that for a group-wide action count wouldn't work.

I think your best option is to use variables for that. Abilities/items can use variable conditions in their Requirements settings, changing/consuming the points can be handled by the battle events of the actions.
    If this mechanic should only work for the player group, you can just use global variables, otherwise use object variables and keep them synchronized for all group members, i.e. when changing them, get all group members (e.g. via selected data) and change them on all of them.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I should give that a try, as it makes total sense.

I assumed the SMT system has a single party-wide variable to track the number of actions available per turn, generated by counting the base action points per combatants. Then from there each action that results in positive or negative action points are removed from this total.

It does sound more simple than I had thought.

Also I do notice the game tutorial has yet to cover phase battle system and I am curious if there's one that help explain the phase battle system in ORK
  • If you want to check out a possible setup for phase battles, you can take a look at the Mission Grid Battles demo project.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!