edited December 2020 in ORK Support
I finally got around to upgrading Unity to 2019 LTS and ORK to 2.30.2. And, as expected, have run into some issues that I can't figure out.

EDIT: These still function when using the ACCEPT key (enter by default) - checking my settings
Events set to be interactive, chests (box type), and shops have all stopped working. They no longer activate when the item is clicked. I did create a object and added an new event to see if I just needed to rebuild everything; it didn't work either.

Events set as a trigger still work fine.

EDIT: ORK Editor issue appears to have been solved with the deletion of ORK and re-import. Saved my project and copied it back over after the re-import.
The ORK Editor just shows tabs across the top and nothing else with the following errors displayed in the console
ArgumentException: Getting control 1's position in a group with only 1 controls when doing repaint
Aborting
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

As a test, I created a simple script to make sure "clicking" an object - at least, the way I always did it -still works. Yep, still works just fine.

I'm going to delete the ORK folder and re-import to see if that corrects the editor issue.
Question: A 47MB project file - is that getting too big and may be causing me issues with the editor???
Post edited by keyboardcowboy on
  • Depending on which Unity version you came from, you need to udpate to the compatible ORK version, though if you updated from any Unity 2018 or newer version, it's not an issue. Due to how the asset store works (not sure if 2019 LTS already uses package manager, or how that handles it), you might need to delete ORK where the asset store downloaded it to (outside your project) to be able to download ORK for a different Unity version.

A large project file isn't really an issue - it just takes some time for the editor to open and load all the data.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I started with 2017 LTS. Upgraded to 2018 LTS. Upgraded ORK via Unity Asset Store. Imported ORK Framework after deleting my existing folder. Upgraded to 2019 LTS

That was my upgrade path. I tried to figure out if there was a separate ORK DLL for the different versions of Unity - didn't see one after downloading ORK from the asset store.

Are there separate DLLs?
  • edited January 2021
    There are separate versions for Unity 5.6, 2017 and 2018+, but the asset store will only let you download the one that's compatible with your current Unity version. Once you've downloaded the latest version of something from the asset store, you can't download it again unless you remove it from where the store caches it.

E.g. if you already updated your 2017 ORK version in the asset store and upgraded to a newer Unity version afterwards, you'll need to remove the downloaded asset from where the asset store keeps those files (i.e. not in your project) to be able to download it again in the new Unity version.
    For Windows, that's somewhere in the Windows user folder, something like AppData/Roaming/Unity/Asset Store-5.x ...
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks for that info GIL - that's something I didn't know and I've been working with Unity since it came to Windows in 2009 :D

I'm starting the upgrade process over since an asset I imported, essentially, converted the project over to HDRP and trashed it. Thank goodness for backups!

I'll follow your steps as I progress.
  • Went through my 2 day-long upgrade process (never upgrade large projects, yuck) again.

This time, I deleted the asset store cache and ORK from my project. Then, re-imported ORK.

The events still are not firing when clicked upon. ACCEPT key works just fine. I did verify the click settings were correct - they are.

I'm guessing something during the upgrade process might be the issue; but, not enough to "kill" the project during the upgrade.

I've kept the upgraded project to tinker with if you have any ideas. No hurry.
    I'm going to continue game development in the non-upgraded version to keep moving forward with early access :)
  • I'd generally recommend to never delete ORK from the project for upgrading - this can break script references to assets and components, pretty much breaking stuff. Just importing the new, compatible version after upgrading should be enough.
  • Late reply - normally, I don't delete the DLL from the project. I would (old system) normally just import via the Custom Package method and overwrite the DLL. Real easy to roll back to a previous version if the new version broke something.

Actual Question Here
    I'm down to 1 major issue, I just can't figure out (probably project related) - The player prefab refuses to spawn when loading a save game. New game - no problem. Save game, no player. Scene loads fine. Any thoughts on where to look?
    Does this version have a setting or two I may have missed? For instance, the victory window (showing gains) had changed a bit and I had to go in and update some settings.

I'm going to attempt to upgrade my Unity 2017 version (my current live version) to the new ORK version and see what happens as well.
  • Player spawning when loading the game is up to the Save Settings in Menus > Save Game Menu. If you don't have Groups and Group Positions enabled it'll not be able to spawn the player (as that's effectively disabled with that setup).
  • Those items are enabled. I can send a save game file if you liked to take a look at that (not encrypted right now)

I compared saved game file to 2017 version. Really didn't see anything that stood out to prevent player prefab from spawning.
  • Hm, do you get any error message in the Unity console?
    If the scene is loaded, the player should spawn as well. The only thing I could think of would be either no player being set or the player doesn't have a prefab (e.g. maybe due to a conditional prefab without a selected prefab).
  • I do have some error messages ; but, they are related to the missing player prefab in the scene.

I have 0 conditional prefab settings.

Where could I look to see if the player is being set during a load of a save game?
    Just to reiterate - new game works fine. The player is spawned and the game runs. It's just this darn loading of a saved game.

I did test to see if it was something within the save file by turning off all things except group, camera, group positions, and my custom save - which just has my own time info.
  • Huh ... very strange. When the game is saved, is the player spawned?
    I can take a look at the save file to confirm the position data is there.