Info: I'll use this thread to post development updates on ORK 3, so drop by for regular updates :)

ORK Framework 3 (working title :D) is now officially in active development, in fact I already started immediately after the ORK 2.31.0 release.

In case you don't know, ORK 3 will be using Makinom 2 as it's core and basically work as an extension for Makinom 2. This'll lead to a lot of changes, e.g. a completely revamped UI system, events being replaced by Makinom's schematics (though they work similarly) or data being stored in individual assets (i.e. no longer one huge project asset that needs to be loaded at the start).

I've started with replacing ORK features with their Makinom counterpart, e.g. formulas are already done and will simply add new ORK nodes to the Makinom formulas. Once that's done, I'll start with porting the data structure over to the new asset-based system. The UI will be one of the last things I'll work on.
For now it's going pretty smoothly, though it'll be at least a month before I'll be even able to compile the project :D

Since I'm notoriously off with my release schedules, I refrain from promissing anything for now. I can give you an estimate, though - currently I'd say it'll take about 2-3 month to port over everything to the new systems, at which point there might even be a first beta available if it's stable enough. Generally, I'm aiming for an official release in Q3, though it might be pushed back to Q4.
Though, porting over is just the first step - once that's done, there'll be a lot of changes coming to ORK, e.g. feature consolidations (ability trees, research trees, etc.), renaming (I'll make a separate thread for that at a later time) and overall system changes.

Well, that's a first brief overview for now - if you've got any questions, post them here :)
Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Will we get an updated Mission Grid Battles demo for ORK 3? This was a real help in learning the framework and it would help in learning how to use ORK 3.
  • Yes - though if you know how to use ORK 2, you'll already know how to use ORK 3 :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Small Update
    I've alread finished replacing most of the double-functionality (e.g. input keys, scene objects), except for UI stuff (GUI boxes, etc.) and the event system, which both will be done later.

I'm now porting things over to the new asset-based data structure, which will probably take a few weeks, since this also means replacing all the data selection fields, which impact how stuff is accessed everywhere - so, changes in pretty much every part of ORK.
  • I can't wait to begin testing this once you have one available. Been dying to get stuck in to it. The change's you've discussed should make working with ORK a lot easier whilst opening up a cleaner build. Have you decided if the Game related source code will still be included in ORK 3?
    Legends of Thamia - Coming soon to Android.
  • The full version of ORK 3 will, like Makinom 2 Pro, contain the full source code, i.e. gameplay and editor :)
  • Good to hear Ork 3 is going smoothly. I'll be here to test it once the porting matures.
    I can give you an estimate, though - currently I'd say it'll take about 2-3 month to port over everything to the new systems
    I was under the impression you'd have to start from scratch considering how many features Ork has but I guess Makinom and Ork are more similar than I thought. Is there a chance we will get an Ork 2 to 3 converter or at least a data base transfer tool? I'm really eyeing the language export/import support of Makinom 2/Ork 3. Not to mention all the QOL upgrades.
  • @Dre788
    Since Makinom originated from ORK's event system, they're pretty similar in structure. Makinom 2's development time was that long because I already had ORK 3 in mind, so the porting goes pretty smoothly, it's just a lot of work :)

There'll be an upgrade tool available later, like Makinom 2 got one for upgrading Makinom 1 projects. It'll not be able to transfer everything, e.g. UI will have to be redone due to the completely revamped UI system.
  • Oh, it's already been 3 weeks since the last update - time flies when you're having fun :D

I've already completed the majority of the asset-based data structure porting, i.e. stuff like combatants, abilities, etc. have already been ported, including needed changes to the background systems, since most stuff is no longer accessed via ID/index as before.

I'm now starting with porting the language and parts of the UI (mainly GUI boxes, since they display the language stuff) to the new systems, which will probably take a month or more, as there are a lot of deep changes involved.
  • Great progress! Thanks for sharing.
  • Nice to hear! And thanks for the Updates!
    Do i remember correctly that you mentioned somewhere that ORK3 is going to use the Unity UI and is replacing the GUI-Style?
    Keep up the good work.
  • Yeah, you can already check out how it'll work in Makinom 2 - here's some documentation on it's new UI system.

Will be pretty much the same for ORK 3, just some additional UI related components to set up various HUD informations.
  • Super cool! Thats definitely a big next step for ORK3 and its user experience! Really nice. I am so much looking forward to ORK3 ;)
    Hope you can continue the developement as planned!
  • I've already completed the majority of the asset-based data structure porting, i.e. stuff like combatants, abilities, etc. have already been ported, including needed changes to the background systems, since most stuff is no longer accessed via ID/index as before.
    What would be the new way to access this data now? Is it via calling the 'name' itself instead?
    Legends of Thamia - Coming soon to Android.
  • Since it'll be a Unity asset, you can simply use the asset to access the data - but stuff that's still referenced by the project can be accessed via index and GUID.