• Happy to see the project continuing. If I started again with ORK2 would ORK3 be included or at this point should I wait? Also Does content from ORK 2 Transfer?

• I haven't decided on all details yet, but ORK 3 will definitely be a paid upgrade (probably around 50% of current ORK price) with a free update grace period (around 6 month).
    If you already have ORK 2, you can still work with it, as it'll receive updates and fixes for at least a year after ORK 3 release (whenever that is).

There'll be an upgrade tool to transfer ORK 2 projects to ORK 3, but as stated previously, this'll not be able to update all content, e.g. due to the UI (and other features) being completely revamped.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited April 2021
    Okay cool thanks for the update! I have Ork 2 but I havent upgraded in a while ( over 2 years ). can I still sign up for either beta releases or the monthly option?
    Post edited by gameintern on

• Sure, that's ongoing :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I have some concern about the switch to using Makinom as the base plug-in for Ork 3.

The reason I chose Ork over Makinom is because Ork is friendlier to use. I don’t know how to program, and it felt like I needed to know how with Makinom. Like Makinom is a bit more low level than Ork, Ork’s events are easily understandable.

Now that the events system is being replaced by schematics, does this mean the learning curve for Ork is going to get harder? Are the tutorials going to get updated in time with the new version? Do I basically have to learn to use the tool all over again? ]=
  • No need to be concerned - yes, Makinom required you to do more basic stuff, as it didn't have any game genre specialized features (since that's what it is, a general purpose toolkit), but at it's core, Makinom is just ORK with the RPG features removed and a more advanced event system.

ORK 3 will still have it's built-in controls and all the RPG features, the schematics will also get all the ORK nodes. So, there aren't really any changes to ORK's workflow and the learning curve will stay the same. You can just do more due to Makinom's more advanced schematics :)
    Also, if you know how to use ORK 2, you'll know how to use ORK 3.

There'll be new tutorials for ORK 3, though I'll probably also port the good old game tutorials over. Can't say when this'll be available, but there'll definitely be a tutorial available for official release (which is still a long way off).
  • Quick update on ORK 3 development: I've finished the language and GUI box upgrades, except for HUDs, wich I've already started to work on. I'm making pretty good progress, as I expected the language upgrade alone (without GUI boxes) to take at least 4 weeks, but I've already finished both in 3 weeks :)

I've had some ideas for the future of the menu system while porting the current system, though I'll have to think it through a bit more once the general porting is done and the actual new feature development starts.
    I'll open some separate threads for feature (and renaming) discussions at a later time, though.
  • How long does it take to wait for ORK 3 to be released?
  • Official release not before fall/winter 2021.
  • Things are going pretty smoothly - I've finished converting the HUD system this week and I'm now cleaning up the rest of the old GUI system. Next on the list is replacing the event system with schematics, which will be quite the undertaking, going through 400+ nodes ... consolidating them with Makinom's nodes will get rid of a good chunk, though.

I'm around 2 weeks ahead of my schedule, so there's hoping for a first somewhat stable beta version in maybe 2 months. Though, this is currently all just theoretical, since I'm still far away from even being able to compile the project.

Anyway, the new UI system is pretty neat to develop with and it's easy to extend with new content. I hope it also works when I'm able to test it :D
  • It's hard to explain but I keep coming back to Ork and wanting to use it but something about the UI makes it permanently daunting/intimidating.

I tried looking at tutorials but it makes it even more complex when I read or watch how to use it.

My question is: Ork 3, is it going to retain the same exact UI window that it uses now for the RPG elements (like creating shops, areas, etc.)?

Note: I'm still trying to learn it. Maybe one day I will get used to it...
  • Not exactly the same, but pretty similar. It'll be integrated with Makinom 2, i.e. use the same visual style (e.g. check out the M2 editor documentation for some examples).

So, it'll probably look a bit better and have some usability improvements (e.g. searchable popups), but it'll still have a ton of settings for you to tweak. Though, you can usually ignore most of the settings and only focus on the things you want to use, e.g. you don't need to bother with an ability's console texts or turn order changes if you only need to consume MP (use costs) and deal damage (target changes).
  • edited May 2021
    We've got a first compile!

Alright, this was unexpected and way sooner than I anticipated - ORK 3 is in a state that allows compilation without throwing errors. Even better, I'm already able to add it's tabs to the Makinom editor and inspect the settings!
    There's still a lot of things to do and systems to adjust and integrate with Makinom before I can actually test this in a running game, but the most amount of porting work is already done with this. I'll now go through all settings in the editor and check if there are any issues or missing things.

Since ORK 3 is now at this stage, I'll open a separate thread to discuss changes to the naming conventions and would be happy to get input on it :)

Edit: Discuss the name changes here.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
  • Hi @gamingislove should I start learning Makinom to get the most of the upcoming ORK Framework?
  • If you know ORK, you already know Makinom (2), as they both are pretty similar and share a lot of features (also a reason why ORK 3 will be an extension for Makinom 2).

You'll basically be able to use ORK as you know it now, with a few changes in names or where settings will be found. The workflow will stay the same.