So I'm starting an ORK project with another developer and we're having issues with Version Control (via GitHub) when using ORK. We've figured workarounds for some of the issues but others, not so much.

1) Using a simple example, if he creates a combatant and I create a combatant and we merge changes, one combatant will overwrite the other if they have the same GUID. Anyway around this?

2) Using the above example, we can't just change combatants and push to GitHub. We have to increment a C# file (just change anything in the actual unity project) to get the ORK changes to push. Is there any way to just get your ORK settings to push rather than having to change a secondary file?

3) While the above two have workarounds, we're not sure how to handle this one. Rather than creating a large project and incorporating all of our development in it, we've decided to piece up the developments using different projects, all of which will be utilizing ORK. Eventually we'll have to combine these projects and while one project may be focused on status/combatants/abilities, another project maybe the Battle System and another the ORK GUI Boxes, we're unsure how we can properly combine these predominantly-heavy ORK settings into one project. Are there ORK files relevant or exportable so we don't lose overlap progress? Or do we just have a base project with the most ORK settings and add to that project using the other project's ORK settings as blueprints (which seems extremely uncomfortable)?

Any help anyone has would be awesome.
  • ORK 2 doesn't play well with version control, due to having all data in a single project asset (this'll change in ORK 3) and in form of XML data.
    Adding/removing data (e.g. adding a new combatant, removing an item) can be difficult to symchronize, due to the data IDs being just the index they're at.

When working with version controls like git, make sure to not encrypt the project file and use text based Unity serialization. For conflicts with data IDs, I'd recommend to just add a bunch of stuff (e.g. just add 10-20 combatants) first and have each person work on some of them.
    When adding or removing data is needed, first have everyone comming their changes and merge it togethe, and push the added/removed data update to the others afterwards.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks for that. After looking into it, the ORKProject.asset file looks... cumbersome, specifically the XML Data. I mean, I'd assume a lot of ORK Projects use version control to some extent, how have they solved this issue or authored workarounds?
  • Probably by listening to my tips :)
    Normal changes are not really an issue, it's just the data list changes (adding, removing and probably moving data) that needs to be kept an eye on.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!