edited May 2021 in ORK Support
I finished the Real time Combat tutorial and I now wanted to change the combat to a more button-mash style combat. Therefore I changed the "Useable in" setting from the "Attack" ability to "Both". I also disabled specific range settings for Real Time combat (e.g. Battle System > Battle Settings Default Use Range) but I still can't use the ability outside of a combat. It only works if I'm close to an enemy. I tried to find a setting to change that but I couldn't so I thought I should ask for help :D.

How can I make it so that I can use the ability outside of combats aswell?
Post edited by Perion on
  • This also depends on the target settings of the ability/item, i.e. the Target Type and Target Range. E.g. if you target single enemies, but there are no enemies around, you can't use the ability.

If you just want to be able to swing around the sword or use abilities without targets, use the None target range and handle dealing damage via damage dealers/zones. E.g. the fireball gameplay tutorial is an example for such a fire-and-forget ability.

Beside that, there are's also the Battle Range involved in finding targets (i.e. when targeting single/group). You can set it up (or completely disable it to have unlimited range) in Battle System > Battle Settings - there are also other ranges for AI and move AI that impact battles.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • The Damage dealers/zones setup is already done in the Realtime setting so that should be no problem I already have that setup. But I tried setting Target Range to "None" and using no Range setting in the Abilities "Use Range Setting" and in the Battle System I disabled "Use Battle Range". What works now is that if I enter the "Realtime Battle Area" I can use the ability at any time. But what I wanted is to be able to use anywhere for example in the city.
  • If by using you mean via control maps, make sure that you have the control map set up to be useable in Field as well.
    If via the battle menu - for this you'd have to add a Real Time Battle Area to the town (e.g. a scene wide without a collider/trigger) to be able to use the battle menu.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Alright now doing the attacks works also in the field. I think I would use the scene wide Realtime battle area then :D
  • https://streamable.com/vw3tc3

I don't know why this happens but even though I set the enemies stop range to 2 the enemy moves closer and closer each time it attacks. Do you know why that is the case? Is it maybe something in the ability settings or in the move AI settings?
  • What movement component are you using for the move AI?
    The move AI only determines the position and speed the combatant should move to, the actual movement is done via the used movement component (as set up by the move AI).

The Default one is just a very simple (and dumb) implementation, and it's mainly for 3D. If you're using that, I'd recommend to switch to something different, e.g. there's a wrapper available for Poly Nav 2D.
  • I am using Poly Nav 2D so is it something on Poly Navs side?
  • Hmm ... hard to tell - since this is real time battle, are you still using the move to target/base battle events?
  • No I disabled "Real Time" for those animations. The real time only uses the attackNoCalculation event.
  • edited May 2021
    I can't really tell but it looks like the enemy starts its attack animation and then moves one step closer to the player. I don't if it's maybe a weird setting for the attack range and the stop range. Could that be the issue?

EDIT: Alright so I needed to disable the "move to target" setting in the range settings (that the enemy does not move closer if it is out of range) and some settings in the poly nav script such as setting the Mass to 1.

The only thing that I want to do is to disable movement while the enemy is attacking though I couldn't find any setting for that. Could you tell me where I can do that? Because now the enemy basically follows the player at any time. So if the enemy attacks and I try to move away from that attack the enemy still follows me.
    Post edited by Perion on
  • If by movement you mean the move AI - you can block that for the user.

You can use the Block Actor Move AI option in the Event Settings node to block the move AI of the actors, though I'd only use this if your attack uses None targets, as it'd otherwise also block the move AI of any potential target.
    This option will block the move AI for the actors while the event is running.

Alternatively, you can use a Block Move AI node to block and unblock the move AI of the user.
  • Alright thank you very much! This thread is solved then :D