edited May 2021 in Showcase
So I've had need to create a smaller project due to the size and time Shadowcaste was taking.
I worked with a friend on a Shower based horror game inspired by scenes from various horror movies. You are the person in the shower now.
Try to get clean while being stalked by a strange entity, with only soap, shampoo, and your phone by your side.

The game was created entirely with Ork's event system with no custom programming.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Foz6RIt44yWljEHlA24O_vD4HykxNoBR/view?usp=sharing

Thank you for downloading!

Current state -
-The game should be totally completable as is, 5 levels with 4 days each for a total of 20 scenes.
-There is an autosave after each level.
-Currently missing death animations, instead the screen flashes red if you died.
-Missing finale and cinematic 5th day of each level
-There is currently only 1 song but will be adding more soon.
-Known bug with shower curtain not resetting after each day
-GUI/HUD and Logo are all temporary

Goal -
To create a relaxing/meditative shower experience while also instilling a sense of dread and fear.
Post edited by Wrofir on
Miuratale : coming 2024
Miuratale
  • Wrofir said: To create a relaxing/meditative shower experience while also instilling a sense of dread and fear.
    I'll give that a try :D
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited February 2021
    https://www.indiedb.com/games/squeaky-clean

Indie DB is up :)
    Game's in beta and just need some last minute TLC before release.
    Delay mainly is getting my LLC started up.

Post edited by Wrofir on
    Miuratale
  • Looks quite interesting, gonna check it out. Good luck with your LLC.

• LLC is official and just waiting on Steam's approval to post the game. :)
    Miuratale
  • edited May 2021
    Post edited by Wrofir on
    Miuratale
  • Congratulation!
  • edited May 2021
    Thanks!

Breakdown-

Ork was the king of this game, with little else at play here other than the graphics and sound.

The game utilizes 2 'spook' event systems, one randomized and continuous, and one that is a series of pre-scripted events that are on a randomized timer.

Pre-scripted events are merely hidden game objects that once activated play out their Unity animation or specific Ork event. Such as a grate falling off the wall, or a shadow walking across outside the window.

The randomized events always kill, and exist to ensure the player is always looking around and aware of their surroundings, so that they are more likely to notice the pre-scripted events which are more cosmetic, but far more bizarre.

The result, so far, has been a difficult to predict flow of potentially game-ending events that as far as every tester has said, keeps them on their toes.

The 'look' mechanic was very, very convoluted at first, a mess of variable checks and intertwined nodes that I could not manage at all. Then one day I had a revelation and felt dumb. The final result is that you start the level looking forward, and pressing W-A-S-D simply fires off a global event that rotates and updates a string variable. Something so simple that I wound up complicating grossly for over a month.

An early problem was event's flurrying the player, so a blocker variable was placed to ensure only 1 event could play at a time, but still allows for quick follow-ups.

I do wish that I could copy and paste nodes, or create 'node prefabs' as that would have saved a ton of time over the course of the games development.

Instead of the save system I wound up using player prefs to keep track of which days and which levels have been won. This works great for this type of game that is totally linear.

All sounds play through Ork events, for consistency. Ambient sounds are on their own event, one playing at the start of the level and loops, and repeating audio (like thunderstorm effects) playing a random selection every random X seconds.

All 3D models were made by me using Unity's Pro-Builder standard asset. It has limitations but for non organic models it wound up working great, and I didn't need to switch from Blender to Unity over and over to make small adjustments.

The game ultimately does rely on RNG and players have said that a single level can be brutally difficult or casually easy.

It was intended to be a 4 month project that wound up taking about twice as long, but the learning process, especially on how I can use both hidden gameobjects, events, and variables of all kinds has been worth the struggle.

Thanks for reading!
    Post edited by Wrofir on
    Miuratale
  • Thanks for sharing the info :)
    You're probably happy to hear that ORK 3 will have a vastly improved node editor (since it's Makinom 2's system at work) that'll make work like this a lot easier.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Aww yeah! I am happy to hear that :D
    Miuratale
  • edited May 2021
    Man, got a devastatingly bad review. I get not liking the game, but damn.
    How would you guys handle something like that?
    Feels bad man.

(Sales have also fallen to 0 since this was posted)
    Post edited by Wrofir on
    Miuratale
  • I feel you, though there's not much that you can do about it.
    Best course of action is usually to reply in a professional manner and maybe answer to a few of the criticized points.
  • You shouldn't change the game for people that don't like it. This way you will only lose the people who do like it without convincing anyone.
  • Yeah, it's just real unnecessary. Like there's writing a critical review, and then there's claiming everyone who likes it is a bot. Like, he got the game the same way everyone else I sent the game did..
    Miuratale