• Gil, Are all the features of Ork2 going to be in Ork3? Is anything being left out? If so, what might not make it into Ork3? Just wondering?
    RF
  • GiL will it support TextMeshPro?
  • A quick question, Will other assets with the support for ork2 will also support to ork3? example: I use pixel crusher's love/hate with ork2. Will it still be possible with ork3 or will they have to upgrade there packages to work with ork3?
  • Still crawling through the tutorials (and testing other things). The timebar HUD for active time battles was probably the last battle-related HUD test:

Also, quests and quest HUDs are still working, and the HUDs are easier to set up :)

@RifleFire
    They'll still be written tutorials - if I find the time for it, I might also do some video tutorials (but there'll still be a written one for the same topic). I'll most likely not redo the ORK 2 game tutorials, as the new tutorials will cover the same things but with more updated features. I also plan to no longer cram every battle system into the same tutorial series and rather split it up into different setups to better use the individual system features (e.g. mostly real time battles require a different setup for abilities).

I don't have plans for listing all ORK 3 nodes - the new (Makinom 2) node editor has a very helpful search function with tooltips/help texts, that should be enough :)

Not all ORK 2 features will be in ORK 3, as I remove some things that are already possible in another way. E.g. ability trees are gone due to research trees allowing to do the same thing but with more options, also weapons and armor are combined into equipment, some individual settings (e.g. in items/abilities) are removed as they can be done via schematics as well and are usually not used in 99.9% of cases. Just, generally removing some unneeded clutter and complexity but without actually removing possibilities.

@RustedGames
    Yes - it's in fact required when using the Unity UI module. Since ORK 3 is an extension for Makinom 2, it'll also build upon Makinom's modular UI system. Though there's currently only the Unity UI module available :)
    You can learn more about Makinom 2's UI system here.

@Malith
    They'll have to upgrade their integrations. Though, if they already support Makinom 2, they should already be compatible with ORK 3.
    The integrations that I maintain myself will be updated after the official release.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Ah, this is what I've been wanting to ask. Will the new menu system be component-based like the new HUD (we set the size, location and fill in the data in the editor) or will it be like in Ork 2? And if it's like Ork 2, will we still not be able to use our own text objects when we set the prefab?
  • @Dre788
    A mixture, I guess - you set up the UI boxes and other prefabs (like buttons) you use via components, etc., but the data that'll be displayed (e.g. which item types and items, etc.) is still set up in ORK. Maybe check out Makinom 2's UI system, since that is what will be used.
    It's definitely a lot more flexible.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • GiL, do we need to be monthly contributors to u on Patreon.com to get beta access to Ork3 or are the betas wide open to everyone?
    RF
  • edited June 2021
    Short update: I've gone through the game tutorials and these features all work fine now.
    I still have to do some tests of things that are not in the base tutorials (e.g. research trees, grid battles, etc.), but a first beta by the end of June is very realistic!

@RifleFire
    It'll be a public beta like it was with Makinom 2, I need all the input I can get :)
    Post edited by gamingislove on
  • Alright!

All menu screens (and related features) are working so far, though I didn't test for every configuration. Grid battles are also working, which concludes my tests of all the major ORK features for now.

I'll now start preparing for the first beta version, expect it sometime next week!
  • edited June 2021
    GiL,
    How do you recommend we learn ORK 3 and Makinom 2 if your not making a revised tutorial series of the complete game in Ork 2 into the Ork3/Makinom 2 system? I wanted to get started on this but am at a loss kinda as i hate to do Ork2's 80+ tutorials ( i am not that lazy but i loathe to waste time) since i will be using the Ork3/Makinom2 system for my future game... Makinom 2 as well as the Ork3 addon, opens the door, if i understand what Makinom 2 can do correctly, to getting my OuterSpace rpg game done. What do you recommend?
    Thanks,
    RF
    Post edited by RifleFire on
  • If you already know how to use ORK 2, there's not much new to learn, beside some settings being moved around a bit and, well, the HUDs (and UI boxes) being created differently.

The beta release page will have information on the changes and new UI handling.
    I'll work on new tutorial series near the end of the beta phase.
  • edited June 2021
    GiL,

There's a lot i don't know/recall about Ork 2. Sounds like your indicating that if i do not know Ork 2 then its gonna be a LOT harder time to learn Ork 3 till u make new Ork 3 tutorials....

Am i understanding this correctly?

If yes, i will start learning Ork 2 now by doing the Ork 2 game tutorials rather than wait...

RF
    Post edited by RifleFire on
  • You can also do the ORK 2 tutorials with ORK 3 (that's what I did for my testing) - it's mostly the same, just a few differences (e.g. settings are found somewhere else).

Also, ORK 3 being in beta phase doesn't mean that this is ready to be used (or learned) for your projects just yet. There'll still be changes coming that'll break your project.
    Especially the first beta is there to get feedback and find critical issues :)
  • where is the first beta? I want to start testing a new Ork3)
  • edited June 2021
    Looking forward to it! Does it have any new requirements compared to 2, like new min Unity version or any required packages?
    Post edited by Acissathar on