In the Ork 3 beta, it seems like Base/Control > Animations and Templates>Animation Templates have the same function?

Overall I'm having a hard time fully understanding how to best leverage Templates in Ork 3.
Currently making: Real-Time Diablo-like ARPG
  • edited December 2021
    Base/Control > Animations are ORK's animation setup for combatants, where you assign an animation setup to an animation type.

Templates > Animation Templates are a Makinom feature for setting up a single animation that can be used in schematics via Animation Template nodes. They can e.g. be used in case you want to set up animations that are not for combatants, i.e. not play via animation types (e.g. animating NPCs).

Which templates you're using largely depends on your system setup. Generally, I'd say the equipment and status related templates are the most used - and if you're using use/affect ranges, the battle range templates.

I'd recommend following the status system setup and 3D RPG playground tutorial series to learn how most of these things work and are used.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I'd recommend following the status system setup and 3D RPG playground tutorial series to learn how most of these things work and are used.
    I've been going through them @gamingislove but the biggest problem is you go through them with Legacy animation, and Mecanim setup is quite a bit different. And 90% of the animations you get on the Unity store now are Mecanim. I have like 4 legacy animations out of the 300+ animations I have... so I hope you'll do a Mecanim version soon..
    Currently making: Real-Time Diablo-like ARPG
  • There'll be tutorials for Mecanim setup in the future - from ORK's perspective, the setup is nearly the same, just setting up Mecanim instead of legacy animations in Base/Control > Animations.

However, Mecanim animator controller setups can be quite different, so it all depends on how they're set up.

I'd recommend to not use ORK's auto animation feature (to animate a combatant's idle/movement) and feed the move speed as a parameter instead. That way you can have Mecanim control the idle/movement animation based on the speed parameter.
    The rest is either directly playing a state or setting a parameter to cause the transition.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited February 2022
    Thank you for the helpful information
    Post edited by DavidGoliaf on