I'm not sure what happened or what box I ticked, but now I'm not able to load into a scene with the player.

The main menu works fine and then when I hit load game it tries to load the scene but then freezes with the scene greyed out.

I don't get any error codes or anything. I have to kill Unity through the task manager. And my editor log doesn't show a crash log.

Can't figure out what is or how to debug this.
Currently making: Real-Time Diablo-like ARPG
  • If this is only when loading a save game, it's most likely due to the changes in BETA 22 regarding bestiary, which makes previous save games incompatible when bestiary separation was used (e.g. like in the playground tutorials).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • This is in a new game actually.
  • So I deleted PlayerPrefs just to be sure @gamingislove

Now, the scene loads but the player doesn't and I get this error code.

[Exception] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    CombatantNotification.UpdateContent() at <09b3c54cee6449208013332cf7b08bfe>:0

CombatantNotification.Show() at <09b3c54cee6449208013332cf7b08bfe>:0

Group.Join() at <09b3c54cee6449208013332cf7b08bfe>:0

Combatant.BaseInit() at <09b3c54cee6449208013332cf7b08bfe>:0

CombatantSetting.Create() at <09b3c54cee6449208013332cf7b08bfe>:0

CombatantAccessHandler.CreateInstance() at <09b3c54cee6449208013332cf7b08bfe>:0

JoinGroupNode.Execute() at <09b3c54cee6449208013332cf7b08bfe>:0

Schematic.ExecuteNextNode() at <7e47579de1554be6a52fb3ca45f63bd9>:0

Schematic.Start() at <7e47579de1554be6a52fb3ca45f63bd9>:0

Schematic.PlaySchematic() at <7e47579de1554be6a52fb3ca45f63bd9>:0

Schematic.Play() at <7e47579de1554be6a52fb3ca45f63bd9>:0

GameHandler.CallStartSchematic() at <09b3c54cee6449208013332cf7b08bfe>:0

GameHandler.NewGame() at <09b3c54cee6449208013332cf7b08bfe>:0

GameHandler.NewGame() at <7e47579de1554be6a52fb3ca45f63bd9>:0

ORKGameStarter.UseStartOptions() at <09b3c54cee6449208013332cf7b08bfe>:0

GameStarter.LoadProject() at <7e47579de1554be6a52fb3ca45f63bd9>:0

GameStarter.Awake() at <7e47579de1554be6a52fb3ca45f63bd9>:0
  • Hm, yeah, seems like the player notifications (Game > Game Settings) are bugged - will be fixed in the next beta.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Fantastic.
  • Btw, you can fix it for now by disabling the Join Group notification in the game settings :)
    That's the one that's bugged because it comes too early, before the combatant joined the group so info is not yet available.
  • edited January 2022
    So I disabled Join Group notification in the game settings @gamingislove , but now I get no errors in the console, however, it still hangs on Application.EnterPlayMode.

When I check the editor log this is the at the end.

0 - Default (GamingIsLove.ORKFramework.ConsoleTypeAsset):
    Player - Hooded Man joins the group.
    UnityEngine.StackTraceUtility:ExtractStackTrace ()
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogFormat (UnityEngine.LogType,UnityEngine.Object,string,object[])
    UnityEngine.Logger:Log (UnityEngine.LogType,object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log (object)
    GamingIsLove.ORKFramework.ConsoleHandler:AddLine (string,GamingIsLove.ORKFramework.ConsoleTypeAsset)
    GamingIsLove.ORKFramework.ConsoleTextCombatant:Print (GamingIsLove.ORKFramework.Combatant)
    GamingIsLove.ORKFramework.Group:Join (GamingIsLove.ORKFramework.Combatant,bool,bool)
    GamingIsLove.ORKFramework.Combatant:BaseInit (GamingIsLove.ORKFramework.CombatantSetting,GamingIsLove.ORKFramework.Group,bool,bool,bool)
    GamingIsLove.ORKFramework.CombatantSetting:Create (GamingIsLove.ORKFramework.Group,bool,bool)
    GamingIsLove.ORKFramework.CombatantAccessHandler:CreateInstance (GamingIsLove.ORKFramework.CombatantSetting,GamingIsLove.ORKFramework.Group,bool,bool,int,int,GamingIsLove.ORKFramework.Class,bool,bool,bool,bool,bool,bool)
    GamingIsLove.ORKFramework.Schematics.Nodes.JoinGroupNode:Execute (GamingIsLove.Makinom.Schematics.Schematic)
    GamingIsLove.Makinom.Schematics.Schematic:ExecuteNextNode ()
    GamingIsLove.Makinom.Schematics.Schematic:Start ()
    GamingIsLove.Makinom.Schematics.Schematic:PlaySchematic (GamingIsLove.Makinom.Schematics.ISchematicStarter,object,object,bool,GamingIsLove.Makinom.MachineUpdateType,int)
    GamingIsLove.Makinom.Schematics.Schematic:Play (GamingIsLove.Makinom.MakinomSchematicAsset,GamingIsLove.Makinom.Schematics.ISchematicStarter,object,object)
    GamingIsLove.ORKFramework.GameHandler:CallStartSchematic ()
    GamingIsLove.ORKFramework.GameHandler:NewGame (bool)
    GamingIsLove.Makinom.GameHandler:NewGame (bool,bool)
    GamingIsLove.ORKFramework.Components.ORKGameStarter:UseStartOptions ()
    GamingIsLove.Makinom.Components.GameStarter:LoadProject (GamingIsLove.Makinom.MakinomProjectAsset)
    GamingIsLove.Makinom.Components.GameStarter:Awake ()

It still seems to have an issue with the console.
    Post edited by Solkyoshiro on
  • Probably the same thing, disable that console notification for now.
  • Though, on 2nd look - this just seems like the console message being put out, so probably not related to your issue.

Are you playing via the start menu or directly in a scene?
  • edited January 2022
    So I also had to go to UI > Console Settings & Types > Player Group Texts and disable Display Player Group, Join Group Text, and Leave Group Text.

That made that go error away. But, Unity still freezes when trying to load the player.
    Are you playing via the start menu or directly in a scene?
    I've tried both. If I try to load directly in a scene I'll get a series of nullrefs about the Interaction Machine. If I go to the Start menu, it goes through the new game menu and then freezes when loading the player.
    Post edited by Solkyoshiro on
  • Yeah, it wasn't really an error, that was just your console output (you probably have outputting to the Unity console enabled).

If you get nullrefs when playing directly in the scene, you probably don't have a Game Starter in the scene. Check out the documentation on quick game testing.

Generally, there seems to be something strange going on in your project - it definitely works fine here. Can you send me a small Unity test project with your setup where it happens to contact@orkframework.com? E.g. delete the library folder from the Unity project to reduce it's size, upload it somewhere (dropbox, google drive, etc.) and send me the link :)
  • I've been following the tutorials, I have a game starter in my scenes, that's not the problem.
  • Hmm, not sure how to send this to you as it's a pretty big project (100 Gigs in the Asset folder).
  • You'll have to either reduce the number of assets or copy your data over to another project and do a dummy setup (e.g. simple scene with a plane where the player should spawn) with minimal number of assets.
  • Did some searching of the forums and I think my issue is related to a setting or formula? My Ork freezes when trying to test a formula, so maybe I introduced an infinite loop somewhere.