Hi, I want to make a 2D turn-based RPG. I have two big problems please see if you can help me.
The first is that I want that just clicking on new game in the main menu takes me directly to a battle in 2D (if it can be random, much better)
I can't create a 2D combat or what exactly I have to do to make it work for me in a battle scene. Thank you very much for your help and I am fascinated by this framework.
  • Is this for ORK 2 or ORK 3 (currently in beta)? I'll explain for ORK 2 for now, but ORK 3 works pretty much the same way.

Generally, the process is the same for 2D or 3D games, and there are different ways you can set it up.

I'd do something like this:

Your start event sets up your player group as usual and loads your battle scene - if you have multiple scenes, just use a Random node to randomly use one of your set up Load Scene nodes with your battle scenes.

Your battle scene(s) set up a Battle component as usual, using Autostart as start type.
    For random combatants/groups as enemies, just add multiple combatants/groups and have one selected randomly.

As for 2D combat - works the same as in 3D (e.g. as explained in the game tutorials), e.g. using battle events to animate your actions. Check out this how-to for some things to keep in mind when dealing with 2D.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I am using framework 2 and what you have answered has helped me a lot. I have managed to start the fight but I am having problems with the SPOTS and where enemies and allies are placed. Since I started the fight and the positions or the menu did not come out well.

Is there any way adding fighter to manually place them on the scene?

Thank you very much for your quick response yesterday it has helped me a lot
  • Sure, the Battle component allows you to select game objects in your scenes as battle spots in the Battle Spot Settings in the inspector. Enable Own Spots for this.

E.g. add empty game objects to the battle's game object, place them where you want the combatants to be and add them to the component's spots.
    Since these will be in local space of the battle, you can also use their positions in your battle spot setup (Battle System > Battle Spots) to have the same positions without creating game objects in each battle.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited January 2022
    Hello, you have helped me a lot and I am beginning to see the way thanks to your help. I have managed to start the fight and put each one in their positions after seeing the entire tutorial of the mini game.

I have two problems, one is that when I select a combatant, the sprite silhouette remains black throughout the combat.
    The other is that my group attacks everything at the same time and I do not get the damage or the hud well, I don't know if it is due to some 2D configuration.
    I pass capture so you can see it better.
    Post edited by elrosas on
  • It's most likely a game object highlight/fade - either from a target highlight (Battle System > Target Settings > Blink Target Object) or from a damage effect (in your status values flying texts).
  • edited January 2022
    No damage text appears and when I activate it it puts the black silhouette on me, I suppose it will be to touch options
    Can I create a combat that you select target by clicking on the combatant without having a sub menu?
    Is there a way to create a 2d prefab with combatant script and make it work in combat scene?

Thank you very much for your help and patience.
    Post edited by elrosas on
  • When exactly does the combatant turn black?

You can select targets by clicking on them - this is set up in Battle System > Target Settings in the Mouse/Touch Control settings. It uses a raycast, so make sure your layer setup is correct (e.g. is uses the layer your combatants are on) and your combatants have a collider to be able to hit them with the raycast.

You can also disable using the target menu in the target settings - the first setting there, disable Use Target Menu.

Combatants just use prefabs, so if you want 2D prefabs, just set it up that way. You can add combatants to game objects in your scenes with a Add Combatant component. If you want them to be part of a battle, the combatant either needs to get near them (Auto Start Battles settings) or automatically add nearby enemies to battles (Auto Join ettings) - both are set up in Battle System > Battle Settings.
  • as soon as I activate the flying text like the one in the tutorial with the move event. They turn black instead of leaving damage text
  • In that case it's definitely the flying texts you set up in your health/HP status value.
    Disable Use Flash in the refresh/damage flying texts of your status values, as that'll change the color of your game objects. Or maybe the color setup isn't correct.
  • Good, I'm starting to master ork, it's really wonderful. I have a problem that the battle starts 50% of the time. I mean, I hit play and half the time it goes into battle and the other half it doesn't start, could you tell me why?

If I call it from the menu or from a battle event, the same thing happens, many times it doesn't load.
  • If this is with autostart battles directly after loading the scene, add a short delay (e.g. 0.1 seconds) to the start (in the component's settings). Probably a timing issue with the battle starting before there's a player.
  • It keeps happening to me even putting 1 or 2 seconds ;(

By the way, is there a tutorial for a shift bar like ffx? I have looked at the one for ORK 3 but I think it is quite different. I am missing icons and the characters themselves in the bar
  • Ok, can you tell me more about the battle setup you're using?
    Generally, a battle doesn't start if:
    - there's no player to take part in it
    - there's no enemy to take part in it (e.g. also if your enemy is already dead when created, like due to wrong HP setup)
    - in case you use conditions, they're not met
    - you're using a scene ID for the battle and it's already marked as finished
    - you're using a chance (e.g. appearance chance, or chance for an enemy to be used) and it doesn't check out :)

As for the HUD - that's also available in ORK 2, i.e. the Turn Order type HUD. ORK 3 has a completely new UI system, so the setup is different, but ORK 2 can also show icons, etc. - you can e.g. add them via text codes in the HUD elements.
  • Well, I usually start a normal battle and the next 3 or 4 do not start me or I have to wait a while. I leave you a screenshot of the battle component but I put a gameobject for the spots 2 enemies and 2 controlled by me and little else.

Could it be the scene id as you said that I marked it as finished? And how do I change that? In any case, thank you very much for the great support you really provide.

https://ibb.co/xhCRGQB
  • If multiple battles use the same scene ID, yes - that'd prevent the battle from happening after one of them finished.

However, your issue is your combatant setup in the battle. I assume you added the first one (for the player faction) to be the player, but that's not how it works.

The player is already set (hopefully, e.g. in your start game event), i.e. you only set enemies you want to fight in your battle. With your setup, you'll either fight the player faction combatant or the enemy faction one, and since a battle needs enemies, the battle doesn't start if the player faction one is selected.