edited January 2021 in ORK Scripting
Hi, I am considering purchasing the ORK framework. My first idea was to program my own, but after having seen the amount of work and resources put into this one I am thinking it might be a good option to speed up the development process and develop an RPG prototype in 9 months. I would love to dedicate myself to getting good at using this tool, but I am wondering if the source code is available for me to review and tinker with if need be? I am hoping here that this is a framework that can be incorporated into a larger project (as opposed to Playmaker) and expanded upon. I know there is an API, but not sure how the dll process works if I want to access all of the source code instead of just overriding it?

Thanks for the info,
-Jeff
Post edited by hyrad on
  • All gameplay related code (i.e. all features, systems and settings) is included in the full version. Only some core functionality (mainly data serialization) and the editor code remain closed source. The editor will automatically adjust to changes you made to the settings.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited October 2021
    Almost a year has passed and now I have made the purchase :) I am hoping that enough code structure is provided to I can build upon different systems, such as data serialization (i.e. custom scriptable objects), events and implementing the new official Unity multiplayer solution. I think your written tutorials are great btw.

Oh, and I have read in the forum that you have plans to include the complete source code when ORK 3 is released fall/winter 2021. This would be great.
    Post edited by hyrad on
  • Thanks for the purchase :)

If you've got any questions regarding scripting (or anything else), just post in the forum or contact me via email (contact@orkframework.com). And yes, ORK 2 will get the full source code when ORK 3 is released.

Also - there's an official Unity multiplayer again? Must have missed that :D
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Hmm. You're right, MLAPI is not released yet. Wondering if it's functional in its current state. Just to be sure, are you saying the ORK 3 code will be protected and that you will only release the full source code for ORK 2?
  • ORK 3 will also contain the full source code.
  • Awesome :)
  • @gamingislove

Ork 3 is released. Congrats.

So is now full source code for everything (gamelay, editor, serialization ..) available for pro users and there is no more any close code (in both makinom and ork)?
  • And I would also like to have a guide on how to install both source code versions.
  • @TextusGames
    Yes, full source code is included in the paid version - for both ORK 3 and Makinom 2. All included, editor, serialization, etc.

If you want to use source code in your project:
    - unzip the 2 provided source code packages into your project
    - remove the DLL files that came with your import (or just don't impor them)

However, when using source code in your project, be prepared to have somewhat messy updates, since Unity doesn't really support moving, renaming or removing files via unitypackages. That was one of the main reasons I decided to use DLLs in ORK 2 (and kept with it).
    There's just no way a complex framework like ORK can be updated this way :)
  • gamingislove said: Yes, full source code is included in the paid version - for both ORK 3 and Makinom 2. All included, editor, serialization, etc.
    This is such a good news.
    Your should advertise this somewhere.
    Becouse some potential buyers and users were pushed away by some close code systems.
    Now they can buy and use ORK3 with calm soul.
    Good job.
    I feel joy from that news.
    gamingislove said: However, when using source code in your project, be prepared to have somewhat messy updates, since Unity doesn't really support moving, renaming or removing files via unitypackages. That was one of the main reasons I decided to use DLLs in ORK 2 (and kept with it).
    There's just no way a complex framework like ORK can be updated this way :)
    I hope Git merge with some potential manual resolves (if my and yours changes conflicts with each other) will help.)
  • Well, it's mentioned in the (long) text in the Asset Store and also has it's own screenshot in the Asset Store :)
  • edited February 2022
    imageI am getting a ton of errors when I imported the source code without the DLLs. I don't understand the renaming/moving of packages etc. that you mentioned above. What can I do about this ?

Errors : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tG4IUu4_JCbN_xJs_090dsvKsyKOlE5o/view?usp=sharing
    Post edited by Blitzkreig95 on
  • You can remove all AssemblyInfo.cs files, they're not needed when using the source code in Unity.
  • @gamingislove

I extracted makinom's zip file.
    Copied 4 folders (bin, editor, Framework, UiSystems) and Makinom.cs file into Assets/Makinom.

I am getting this error

C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2019.4.18f1\Editor\Data\Resources\PackageManager\BuiltInPackages\com.unity.ugui\Editor\UI\MenuOptions.cs(66,17): error CS0200: Property or indexer 'DefaultControls.factory' cannot be assigned to -- it is read only

Could you give more detailed guide about how to use source code?.
  • Don't include the bin folder, that contains various Unity DLL files (and other things) that'll cause issues with your Unity project.