Hello,

I'm working with somebody else in a project using ORK Framework. We are accustomed to use Git, but as seen in this thread, it is not recommended to use git at all when working in ORK Framework.

This Framework was obviously thought for teams too, and a team of two people, such as ours, shouldn't need anything too complex, so I was wondering, what is the best way to work using ORK Framework in our current situation?
  • If you're using ORK 2, it's as mentioned in the thread you linked to.

If you're using the new ORK 3, it's a lot easier.
    In ORK 3, all data list entries are individual assets, i.e. each item, combatant or ability is it's own Unity asset. So, working with others is now a lot easier.
    However, I'd strongly recommend to NOT merge those assets or the overall project asset. The data is stored as a byte array, so merging is most likely gonna corrupt your data.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • We started working in ORK2, if it's not too much trouble moving to ORK3, maybe we should give it a try.

In the thread that I mentioned doesn't specify the best way to work in teams I don't think. Unless the best way is to not have two people working on the database at the same time. We would much like to be able to do this.

Is it very complicated to move from ORK2 to 3? I think it would most likely solve our issues

Thanks!
  • When working in teams in ORK 2, I'd recommend:

1) Don't move or delete data (e.g. items or combatants) without first bringing everyone on the same project state. Due to ORK 2's index based data handling, that can otherwise lead to issues.
    So, before moving or deleting data:
    - commit your current state
    - have everyone update
    - move/delete
    - commit again
    - everyone update again

Adding new data or editing existing stuff shouldn't be a problem, though.

2) Don't use encryption for your project data (e.g. only switch to it before publishing).
    ORK 2's data is stored in a custom XML variant, which should be fine for GIT or others to merge - but if it's encrypted, there's no chance that'll go right :)

3) Do backups before merging, you never know what can go wrong.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thank you for the reply! It's a shame that two people can't work on the database at the same time.

We'll follow the recommendations.

Thanks again!