edited May 2014 in ORK Support
While it is possible to trigger a Game Event with an Enemy or NPC, it doesn't seem possible to set them as actors.

In the Event Settings there are four tabs for Event Actor:

Object, Player, Member, Camera

None of these handle the use case where an enemy or NPC triggers the event.

As an example, I made a trigger zone with a fire icon. Anyone who enters says: "#actor.name0#: I'm on fire!!!" If the Event Actor is set for Player, the dialogue is "Brown Pants: I'm on fire!!!". However if I set it on Object, enemies can trigger the dialog, but the name will be blank ": I'm on fire!!!"

• I see the problem, will add it in one of the next updates :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I figured out a temporary fix for this issue. Place an Event Interaction Component on each NPC/Enemy who can trigger effects. Then add an empty placeholder event. Mine is called "_blank".

Create a trigger object with a Box Collider. Instead of using an Event Interaction Component, apply this script instead:

using UnityEngine;
    using ORKFramework;
    using System.Collections;

public class TriggerEventInteraction : MonoBehaviour {

public ORKGameEvent EventToTrigger;
    public string TagRequired;
    public bool DeleteTrigger;

// Use this for initialization
    void Start () {
    }

// Update is called once per frame
    void Update () {

}

void OnTriggerEnter (Collider other) {
    if (other.tag == TagRequired){

other.gameObject.GetComponent<ORKFramework.Behaviours.EventInteraction>().eventAsset = EventToTrigger;
    other.gameObject.GetComponent<ORKFramework.Behaviours.EventInteraction>().LoadEvent();
    other.gameObject.GetComponent<ORKFramework.Behaviours.EventInteraction>().CallStart();
    if (DeleteTrigger)
    {
    Destroy(this.gameObject);
    }
    }

}

void OnTriggerStay (Collider other) {

}

void OnTriggerExit (Collider other) {

}

}

TagRequired - This is the tag you will use on the NPC/Enemy to prevent other moving objects (weapons, skeleton pieces, etc.) from triggering it. I use something like "NPC".

DeleteTrigger - Check this if you want the trigger to delete itself after being fired.

EventToTrigger - This is the event that you would normally place in the trigger's Event Interaction Component.

Not a perfect solution, but it should work well enough until the bug fix is in.
  • Thanks for fixing this issue. I recently tried it out with 2.1.4 and it works fine now.

For those having trouble:

* Set the Event Interaction component's Event Settings : Start By Other to TRUE (unless you only want the PC to trigger them)
    * Use Check Tag to prevent items and other models from accidentally triggering the event
    * In the Event, set Event Settings : Event Actors : Actor 0 : Type to Starting Object

BTW: Seems like CallStart() has been replaced with StartEvent(), which allows for the triggering GameObject to be specified. In the previous code you could replace CallStart() with StartEvent(other.gameObject).