I'm attempting to create an interactive recipe that you can pick up. When it is picked up, it unlocks a recipe in the crafing menu. What is the best way to achieve this in ORK?
  • Works like picking up any other item, e.g. using an Item Collector component or Add To Inventory or Add Recipe nodes in schematics (events in ORK 2).

Unless the crafting recipe has Consumable Recipe enabled in it's settings, adding the recipe will unlock it. If it's consumable, the recipe is consumed when using it, so it'll be gone afterwards.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I am still not able to quite figure out how to do this exactly. I have added the item collector and they will be added to my inventory. But how do I use them to unlock a recipe in the crafting menu?

I also can't find the option to Add Recipe.
  • The crafting menu will list all recipes the player (or menu user) has in their inventory - i.e. when the recipe is collected via the item collector it'll be available in the menu.
    Just make sure your crafting recipe has a crafting type selected that's also displayed by your menu.

Add Recipe is a node in schematics, basically does the same as collecting via an item collector (or other means to add items to inventories), but comes with some more options (e.g. adding recipes of a type, etc.).

However, if you want to have an item unlock recipes when used, like a crafting scroll teaching a recipe, you need to set up a useable item that uses a schematic to add the recipe to the player (e.g. via Add Recipe node).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thank you for pointing that out. While setting this up, I'm still figuring out which settings I need to use. I can't seem to find a way to start with an empty crafting recipe list and then fill it up as I find new recipes. Do you have any suggestions for me?
  • Unless you add recipes to the inventory the recipe list will be empty.

In case you where following the 3D RPG Playground tutorials, they just add the recipes in the start game schematic to have them available - so just don't do that :)
  • Alright! I will look into that.
  • Hi, it's me again, I've read the tutorial and looked into it in ORK, but I guess that I am using the previous version. A lot of stuf is not there and it's not helping for me. I am currently using the version 2.28.1 for Unity 2018/2019.

I can't figure out how to use the add node function with the crafting recipe. The recipe must be locked before picking up and unlocked after being picked up and used. ( I am very new to this program. I have completed the whole tutorial. )

• It works the same way in ORK 2 - the recipe isn't available until it has been collected, either via an item collector, Add To Inventory node or Add Recipe node.

You can find ORK 2 information and tutorials here.
  • What is the best way to setup a game event for picking up a recipe and adding it to the known recipes.

How can I disable my crafting recipes untill I have picked them up
  • Check out the Templates > Menu Requirements. They have an option for that in the General Requirements, enable Knows Recipes.

In menu screens, you can e.g. use that menu requirement to hide (or disable) the crafting button in your Button List menu part, or when the crafting menu screen can be called via an input key, also prevent that with the requirement.

For adding the recipe, you can use the methods I mentioned earlier, i.e. Add Recipe or Add To Inventory nodes in schematics. Also, Item Collector components using a crafting recipe will add it when it's interacted with like any other item.
  • edited April 2022
    Alright, I am not able to find the Templates > Menu Requirements. Is it possible that I am not using the right version to use that function?
    Post edited by Empteyy on
  • Ah, sorry, was on ORK 3 again - in ORK 2 it's in Game > Requirements.