Hello,

I wanted to ask something. As far as I'm aware, Battle Start Events are used to have an event run at the begining of the battle, but it's thought to be only one and always the same one, correct? (This is all in ORK 2)

If it can be changed between battles, please let me know how to do it.

And another question, what if I wanted several events to run at the begining of the battle? (Maybe to check some statuses or display some message, it could be anything)

The purpose of this discussion is basically to find out if I can actually use Battle Start Events this way or if there is another better-intended method for this sort of events.

Thanks!
  • Battle start events are used to animate and set up your battle start, e.g. spawning/placing all combatants, loading a battle scene, etc.

You define the default battle start (and end) events in your battle system's settings, but each individual battle can replace them with their own events - i.e. in the Battle component you have options to override the default events.
    When not directly using Battle components, e.g. using combatant spawners or random battle areas instead, you can still create a battle with the setup you want and reference it to be used.

So, yeah, you can have battle start/end events for each individual battle if you want :)

However, you can only use one battle start event for a battle, not multiple - but you can start other events in your battle start event, e.g. start a global event or use custom combatant events.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited March 2022
    Hello, thank you very much for the reply.

I followed your instructions, and it helped a lot.

However, now I have an issue with something very related to this.

So I've got two events, one that updates a certain stat of each character, and then another one that gives each character a status effect based on the new value of the stat changed earlier, both acting at the end of the turn.

So the solution was simple, call an event that calls both of these global events at the end of the turn, using the actor as the starter object. It works perfectly.

However, here's the issue, some of these status effects don't check only the current actor's stat, but the whole group's stats, then again, easy solution, tick the whole group checkbox when checking the stat. But, the thing is that because the sequence is:
    updateStat -> updateStatusEffect -> nextCharacter -> updateStat -> updateStatusEffect ->...
    Then if the final character's stat was going to be changed to a value that would affect the status effect changing of any previous characters, it wouldn't apply.

Ideally, the sequence I want is:
    updateStat -> nextCharacter -> updateStat...
    and once all stats are updated:
    updateStatusEffect -> nextCharacter -> updateStatusEffect...

I could do this following this loop example to be able to loop through all characters without depending on them being or not the starter object, but the issue I encounter here is that the event would be called once per combatant, which would be both inefficient and a big mess, which means that I would have to find a way of calling the event once every end of turn without using the functionality you talk about in this thread, because this functionality will trigger the event once per combatant, when I want it to trigger once.

I hope I made my issue clear enough.

Thank you very much again!

Best regards
    Post edited by MatthewBL on
  • So, the status effect update for all combatants hould happen once per turn?

In that case, do the stat update per combatant in the combatant's turn end event and additionally:
    - increase a global float variable by 1
    - use Select Combatant node to get the Battle group of the combatant (but use filters to only use alive combatants)
    - use Selected Data Count node to check if the count matches the global float variable you increased
    - if that's the case, do your status effect stuff on them abd reset the global float to 0
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Sorry for not replying to this.

This worked perfectly. Thank you for the reply!