I'm looking for a tutorial on animating 2D sprites in ORK, however most of the tutorials are aimed at animating 3D models. The 2D grid battle is the closest I can find, however it doesn't explain how to do so, since the tutorial project includes pre-made blend trees and an animation controller that's already set up.

After setting up animation controllers, how do you get them to correspond to ORK? Is it as simple as matching your folder names up to the names in ORK's Animations tab?
Post edited by LostForest on
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.
  • ORK plays animations by either directly playing them or by setting parameters and have the animator controller handle transitions based on that. This works the same for 2D and 3D setups. The auto parameters of the animation setup can be used to always forward information like speed or rotation to the animator controller parameters and handle animations based on that.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited March 2022
    Right now I can get my sprites to animate properly as NPC combatants, however when I use the "Turn To" option in an animation controller, my sprites disappear while turned to the player, before turning back to normal.

Is the Turn To option not compatible with 2D sprites?
    Post edited by LostForest on
  • No, it's not.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I assume you need to make it part of the schematic then? What would you use? The "Rotate" node?
  • Bump. I'm still having trouble finding a way to have 2D sprites face the player using a schematic.

Rotate To doesn't seem to work, since I assume it's meant for 3D models. Could anyone help clear this up for me?
  • If you mean play a right facing sprite when the player is to the right or left facing when the player is to the left then you'd probably need to do calculations to determine which animation to play.

Something like using the Vector3 Direction node passing in machine object and player. Then use a switch on the X value, if negative pass a parameter on the machine object animator to go left, positive go right, if 0 then check Z value. Positive up, negative down.
  • Sorry, seems like my reply wasn't posted yesterday.

Yes, it needs to be part of the schematic - the details depend on how this is handled in your 2D setup.
    Since in 2D facing something is basically playing an animation to change the sprites, you need to do that. E.g. play the animation or set parameters, etc.

E.g. the 2D grid battle tutorial handles rotation based on move direction, so the attack turning to the target changes the move direction.